Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1977 Polaris Colt 340 SS the light were working up until last year.

There is no voltage coming from the main wiring harness on any pin at the motor.
The tachometer and the speedometer are both working.
I replace the single wire regulator so far and still nothing.
I saw on ebay they sell a rectifier with a wiring harness, not familiar with it's function.

Any suggestions are appreciated, this has been a great sled for so long.

Thanks
John
Chardon, Ohio

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
If it has a stator and not points. I am leaning to the lighting coil being out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the lighting coil be the regulator with the single wire attached? It mounts on the frame that grounds to the post and has a single yellow wire that attaches to the spark plug coils?
If so is there a way to test that or around it to see if anything else could be causing the issue?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
No the stator is behind the flywheen which is behind the recoil.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'm gonna say lighting coil as well. And no it's not external. It's internal on the stator plate. Not sure how hard it'll be to find one shouldn't be to hard. A little bit of a challenge to change I don't know your mechanical ability. If you need help finding parts or with the repair I'm not far from you and into the older sleds. I will see if I have any coils.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'm just getting back from the Holiday, I'll see if I can located the lighting coil, tonight. I did a Google image search so I know what I'm looking for. Thanks for the quick replies.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
you need polaris part # 3081130. thats the proper lighting coil. there are aftermarket that replace many models. so getting the right part number isnt critical. i have a new lighting coil that isnt the correct part number id sell. but if you want to search the correct part number i understand that as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.