Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a nice '78 TX-L 340 last summer, the only thing was it has a Comet duster primary.[xx(] I found the correct clutch for it at a show, but I think it is off a Centurian 500. (It had CENT written in marker across it) Does anyone know what the correct weights and spring were for both the Centurian, and the TX-L? Any technical info web sites I could hit? Or any "HOT" clutch setups for this sled? I will be running it against a '80 Blizzard 7500, and Rupp Nitro, so I'm hoping it moves!!! Any Info Appreciated---- Thanks, ARCTIC [attachment=51080][attachment=51081]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
The comet 102 or 108 with oem spring and weight setup is a beast. Will run about 85 mph (GPS checked). A friend of mine has one (TX-L Indy) and after it blew the original clutch, he replaced it with the 102c and used the oem setup for that size engine. The first time he rode it after the switch, he was "WOW" what a difference in performance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey old, The prob is the clutch isn't a 102, its a P.O.S. Duster (see pic). I thought about putting a 102 on it but they are $350.00. So, I found an original '79/'80 Polaris primary for it. If set up right, it should work well, plus it is the right clutch for that sled. I just need the tech info to do it. Thanks, ARCTIC

·
Registered
520 Posts
Im not sure the 340 and 500 shared the same crank end. If I remember correct they are different sizes you may want to do some cross references to see if they both use the same comet 102/108. The main problem with the old drives preP85 were cracks in the movable sheave and whey wear out fast . Might look good from the outside but will be a pile of junk inside.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You can get a 102c uncalibrated for about $250 weight and spring extra total cost $299. Parts Unlimited

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi, i have a centurion and my primary just gave up. I had an old polaris 340 indy sport 1989 clutch hanging around and replaced the weights and spring and put it back on my machine. It works awesome and looks real nice. Maybe that could be useful: the old spring for the 340 was red and the weights are 10. Don<t know if that would be the same for your machine but it could help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts