Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a problem with my 1979 johndeere trailfire 340. when i go up a hill it shutters and make a weird noise,what could that be?? the belt looks good. it also seems like its getting slower too, like it used to go 50mph opened up on flat trail, but now only goes 35-40mph .it starts and revs.and idles good. i need some pointers please help

·
Registered
54 Posts
when is the last time you greased your machine? maybe your jack shaft bearings are starting to sieze......

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
the jack shaft is the shaft that the secondary clutch is on

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Check to make sure the engine is getting enough airflow (aka something blocking the airway weather it be a birds nest, dirty filter if it has one, stuff like that. At higher revs the engine needs more air pushed thru it and if it can't get it, it just won't rev, that won't affect slower speeds or idle but when you gun it, it will show.

·
Registered
474 Posts
chain tension? and track tension that was already mentioned, put the rear of the sled in the air, grab ahold of secondary clutch and move it back and forth to make sure there isn't a bad jackshaft bearing, how does the hyfax look? also check to make sure you didnt loose any teeth on your drivers.

Just some thoughts!![thumb]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts