Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know all about the snowgoers, but what i dont know is what 6 sleds did they test that day. i know they did the el tigre 6000, and the centurian. if anybody has the rest i would be very happy.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
skidoo 9500 blizzard
which was named the fastest 440 production sled for the year.

·
Registered
539 Posts
yes, '81 9500 blizzard

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello all, I just wanted to add my two-cents. I have the actual issue of snow-goer mag, with the results from the 1981 shoot-out. It is the October 1981 issue. The shoot out was conducted in March of 1981, with the OEM's 1982 production year models. Arctic Cat was not present for this event due to bancrupty. The 6 machines that were raced were as follows:
Ski-Doo Blizzard 9500
Moto-Ski Ultra-sonic
Kawasaki Interceptor 550
Polaris TX-L Indy 500
John Deere Liquifire
Yamaha SRX440
The Blizzard proved to be fastest, And the JD won best handling, But overall, the Kawasaki was the winner of the shoot out. Back then the shoot out was more than just a drag race- the machines were raced through a course as well. Also, It was perfectly OK for these manufactures to "tweak" the sleds for the shoot out. Ski-Doo had race team members from thier Oval, and X-C teams working on clutching. As Ski-Doo kicked ass, the Moto-Ski was left behind and finished 5th in drags, and last in the overall.
Anyway- that is the story of the 1981 shoot. I dont have anything on the 1981 production models, But I believe the El-Tigre was fastest, followed closely by the Polaris Centurian 500. Hope this helps. ARCTIC

·
Registered
539 Posts
the motoski and the blizzard was the same sled. just a different color.
just goes to show ya what some quality clutching can do for a sled.

·
Registered
363 Posts
WHAT the moto ski ultrasonic finished last!! that sucks hey snoeproe do you know the top speed of a 1980 moto ski ultrasonic 440 l/c you seem to know a lot about these machines i was just wandering[:D][:D]thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
that depends on alot of factors.
stock or mod
clutching/gearing.
they were heavy sleds, that was their largest downfall.
my stock 82 9500 blizzard has hit just under 90mph with a little tuning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts