Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the first sled I ever bought 4 years ago, my wife and sled-less friends ride it once in a while, check that, I ride it when my wife and sled-less friends are riding my '99 500 XC, boy what a nice guy I am.
I thought that if I will be riding this thing this year at all i want it in tip top shape, so i restored it to almost new, with exception of the oil injection, a new pump would be 65% of this sleds worth, so I will continue to mix.
/snofan/../images/users/500fasenuf/1.jpg
/snofan/../images/users/500fasenuf/2.jpg
/snofan/../images/users/500fasenuf/3.jpg
/snofan/../images/users/500fasenuf/4.jpg
The windshield had a small crack in it so its off getting fixed, also waiting for sprint for secondary.
Let it snow....let it snow....let it snow!!!!!

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
What a beast
.... It looks good.

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah, that thing looks great. You've obviously spent a lot of time on this one. It certainly shows.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
134 Posts
nice clean sled i like it...wre almost bought a trail cat...a 1980 to match are 1980 panther we have...but the dealership wanted 995 for it...few spider cracks in hood smoked a lot...and had a hard time starting i woulda offere'em $200 but my dad said it wasnt worth it...looks real clea...maybe i should go through my panter and clean it up

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's amazing what a good power wash and some gloss black engine paint will do.
Is your panther the 440 L/C with the car type rad in the dash?
Those things are fast....rode with a guy who had one and I was on my '99 500 XC, and he stayed right with me, of course that isn't saying much, I usually ride well within my abilities, I usually ride 3 - 6 hours from the nearest hospital, so that is always on my mind when I ride.
This sled was sure not tuned when I got it either, very hard to start, pilot jet was too small.
Fix up that old Panther of yours, it's fun and doesn't even cost that much, I might have spent $200.00 by the time it was done.
But strip it down to the tunnel track and skis, you never know what you will find, I found a cracked and misaligned motor mounting plate.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kudos, now all you guys drag out your old machines and fix them up and ride them, they are great fun and easy to fix.
Hey Eric....I hope you don't compilment your mom like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am looking at a pait of 1980s forsale localy and on the side it said 3000 I was wonder if anyone can tell me the hp and topspeed of these.

Also what did you resto cost aprox?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
looks good and clean!!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Comp..
Wow, has it been a year already?

If it says 3000, then it's a 340 fan cooled.
These old Cats are very light in weight and power.

This 440 fan will top out at about 50 - 55 mph on flat groomed trail...a far cry from what is considered slow in todays machines.

The restoration costs were minimal, mostly elbow grease, lot's of Simple Green for the engine compartment, a little BBQ paint on the muffler. The fuel pump, filter and lines may have cost $30.00, don't quite remember. Broken driven spring was 15 I think. I had the plastic skis from before, they are about 180, and well worth it.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
OMG... Does that Arctic Cat have trailing arms?!?!?!?![;)]

Sorry I had to point that out. Very mint sled, put many miles on it last year?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry BW,
I didn't realize you had posed a Q in here.
Hardly any miles got put on her last year,
maybe 25 or so.
Just took it out once with the kids and toboggan.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Now that is nice!! I had one before, I gave it to my wife to run and she loved it. She actually liked it better then the 03 Polaris classic she has now!! Great job! Looks great...

·
Super Moderator
11,651 Posts
Not only has this topic been brought back from the dead once, but twice now. Seems to be happening alot lately.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't even own that sled anymore, sold it to a buddy
who lives on a acreage who rides it every few days.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sold????? Now what are you riding when you buddies steal your sled? I have always wanted a backup and have never bit the bullet to buy one. Maybe some day

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got new buddies with sleds that put a much higher priority on riding...[;)]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts