Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well another exciting Saturday night so I decided to have my 13 year old learn how to maintain the chain case on the 1983 Polars Indy 440 his uncle gave him. He got the pipe off, removed the bolts and popped the cover. Almost no oil came out and he had some questions. What was the orange gunc on the gasket and globbed on the walls of the chain case. I have never seen anyone seal a case with liquid gasket over a perfectly good seal. He sprayed things down with brake cleaner and mopped up the case. Then he backed off the chain tension and took off the chain, looks like new, not 1983. Looking at the gears they are nice too, but near the lower gear the chain case cover has some nasty scratching and gouging and there was some scratching on the case side. I am guesing that maybe an old chain got loose and did this? , well ask Unc as he bought this sled new. Any way has anyone heard of using liquid gasket on these old sleds? Think we should worry about the scratching, sled sure runs good.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It can be used to seal up those pesky leaks especially if the snow is falling and you don't have time to get another gasket. It seems like those older sleds had problems with leaking because of the bolt pattern on the cover. Not a lot of pressure on the gasket itself.

I would guess that at some time, the track may have been changed and the spacers behind the gear were not installed properly resulting in the gouges in the case. Sometimes the driveshaft can be hard to get through the bearing all the way and the gear may have been too close to the case without the right number of spacers behind it. Then the chain will rub on the case if it gets too loose.
Heck, since it's that old, it must be working fine anyways.

D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the track is original. Could a worn bearing cause gouging. Speedo has not worked for many many years

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Def sounds like a chain let loose. The scrathces wont hurt a thing. The rtv (liquid gasket) and lack of oil indicate that the case leaks a little. Could be a warped cover or small crack in the case from the chain blowing before. I had a hair line crack in my xc700 after blowing a chain a few years ago, resulting in a slow leak. Find out more about the history of the sled from Unc and Ill bet that it slowly leaked oil out of the chain case so he tried to double seal the cover with rtv. Reguardless, a small leak is no big deal. As long as all the parts inside the case are in good shape, I would run it as is and just keep a sharp eve on the oil level.

Good luck and props for getting your son the experience to fix his own sled[thumb][thumb]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We checked both gears and the bearing seem good no end play. Grabbed hold of the lower gear and it moved in and out quite a bit, like 1/4". So we took it off and there is no spacers behind the gear. maybe this lets the chain swing in and outscratching the cover? It's hard to find fiche for this old sled, wo/having to drive 20 miles to the dealer, so I do notknow if there should be a spcer back there.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
DrumBum said:
We checked both gears and the bearing seem good no end play. Grabbed hold of the lower gear and it moved in and out quite a bit, like 1/4". So we took it ff and there is no spacers behind the gear. maybe this lets the chain swing in and outscratching the cover? It's hard to find fiche for this old sled, wo/having to drive 20 miles to the dealer, so I do notknow if there should be a spcer back there.
Still, the gear still should be able to slide out far enough to scratch the cover, case yes. I would say there is def supposed to be a spacer behind there. I would still found out if it ever blew a chain though, still sounds like a blown chain to me.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Definitely order a new chaincase gasket, They are only like 8 bucks. Babbits online is a good resource if you do not have a local dealer. Your driveshaft bearings are probably on there way out if the speedo does not work, when they get loose, the speedo key brakes. Might be time to consider doing all of the bearings before the snow flys, it is not all that difficult, and the parts cost around 65 bucks from parts unlimited for the bearings and speedo drive key.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I grab on the ends of the shafts and shake I do not feel any play, is there another way to tell of the bearings are wearing? I will pull open the speedo cable and see whats up there.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
DrumBum said:
When I grab on the ends of the shafts and shake I do not feel any play, is there another way to tell of the bearings are wearing? I will pull open the speedo cable and see whats up there.
What I meant to say above is "the gear should not be able to slide out far enough to hit the cover."

You really cant feel any play in the brgs unless they are really bad. In order to tell if the brgs are going is to spin them without the shaft/s in them. Its not too hard to remove the ones on the jackshaft, but you usually have to remove the drive shaft to get at the brgs that it goes through.

Also, you said the speedo hasnt worked for many years so it prob smoked the brg and speedo key way back when and the brg was replaced but not the speedo key. The key is prob all buggered up in the end of the shaft and they werent able to get it out to replace it.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
post up a foto of your damage

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scratcing on case, Unc said no one ever replaced the chain or gears as far as he knew. Cannot find Fiche for 1983 Indy Trail so i do not know if the factory left them out, or they were not part of that year. 1985 fiche shows 2 spacer washers. I guess i will adjust the chain and just out it togethr ...
I also pulled the speedo cable, it was froze but I twistee it loose and the speedo moves. I could not find a key just the square cable end end the receiver hole.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I get a new gasket it and apply it to the cover with some extra silicon, just like it was when I took it apart. LEAKED LIKE A SEIVE! I felt around and realized the cover does not even touch the housing in some Places. Then it hit me , this sled has not had oil in the case for years cause the gasket goes on the chain case not the cover. Gotta be some kind of bo[beatup]ne head award for this one. Anyway the blizzrd has arrived north of Chicago and i am betting I can beach this thing in the deep stuf tommorw, FUN!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts