Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to owning a sled and need your help. I have 1986 Indy 400 Sport. The running light, and brake lights are not working at all. I replaced the bulbs, and no luck. How do I go about fixing this any ideas? Do I have to remove the seat to expose the rear brake light wires? Any help would be appreciated, or if you have had the same problem please give me some insite Thanks Justn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check your ground connection/ main connector for corrosion or burned terminals. I think its a brown wire bolted to the voltage regulator. That would be my first check.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I the voltage regulator is the little block on the right side mounted by the key switch. It is on the inside of the panel.

Sounds like a main plug issue to me. It is the electrical plug that is beside/under the engine that most all the wiring runs through. Unplug it and clean and try replugging it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
you problem is most likely the wiring under the seat.

the voltage regulator is mounted on the right-hand footrest.
it has one yellow wire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any tricks to removing the seat on that 1986 Indy? Do I have to remove the suspension, and track? Thanks Justin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did find a bad wire under the seat and replaced it. The brake light now works, but I still have no rear running lights? Any other ideas? Thanks Justin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go to a dealer and find/look at a wiring schematic. The problem is always bad electrical connections. The schematic will show you the source point for the power for the running lights. Personally the brake light confuses me, it's a one filament bulb on the 199x indys which means they are dropping down the voltage with a resistor.

·
Registered
301 Posts
the orange wire is the brake light.
the yellow wire is the running light.
the brown wire is ground.
if you need to, run new wires from underthe hood.
you can tap into any yellow wire for the running light.
you can tap into any brown wire for ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to williewonka, and other who replied to help me out. I tied into the yellow wire, and now I have tail lights that work. Yeah. It is also snowing here in Stacy, MN thanks for all the help again. Justin[:)]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts