Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have (partially) rebuilt a 1986 Indy 400. The top end was rebuilt and it has not run since the rebuild because no one took the time to put it back together. The carbs were cleaned and re-assembled. When they were re-assembled, we couldn't find the washer for the needle and seat for one carb so we put it back together thinking we could come back to it. I do not think it is a plugged line or anything because I can see gas going into the carbs.

It has new plugs, new gas, and it will not fire. I have even poured gas into the cylinder and it will not start. Clutch side cylinder seems like it is firing (once in a while) and gas is coming out of that carb but the right side plug does not get gas on it and does not fire and it also has a lot less fuel coming out of the carb. I do not believe it would be timing because who would take the whole engine out to do the top end? It has good spark, and good compression. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
mikey007 said:
So I have (partially) rebuilt a 1986 Indy 400. The top end was rebuilt and it has not run since the rebuild because no one took the time to put it back together. The carbs were cleaned and re-assembled. When they were re-assembled,[highlight=yellow] we couldn't find the washer for the needle and seat for one carb so we put it back together thinking we could come back to it[/highlight=yellow]. I do not think it is a plugged line or anything because I can see gas going into the carbs.

It has new plugs, new gas, and it will not fire. I have even poured gas into the cylinder and it will not start. [highlight=yellow]Clutch side cylinder seems like it is firing (once in a while) and gas is coming out of that carb but the right side plug does not get gas on it and does not fire and it also has a lot less fuel coming out of the carb[/highlight=yellow]. I do not believe it would be timing because who would take the whole engine out to do the top end? It has good spark, and good compression. Any ideas?
Does FLOODED to the bejeezuz(max) sound about right. See just how much gas is in the case by taking out the case drain plugs. Not having your needle and seat parts installed and gas pouring out the carbs....NOT GOOD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ultrawillie said:
mikey007 said:
So I have (partially) rebuilt a 1986 Indy 400. The top end was rebuilt and it has not run since the rebuild because no one took the time to put it back together. The carbs were cleaned and re-assembled. When they were re-assembled,[highlight=yellow] we couldn't find the washer for the needle and seat for one carb so we put it back together thinking we could come back to it[/highlight=yellow]. I do not think it is a plugged line or anything because I can see gas going into the carbs.

It has new plugs, new gas, and it will not fire. I have even poured gas into the cylinder and it will not start. [highlight=yellow]Clutch side cylinder seems like it is firing (once in a while) and gas is coming out of that carb but the right side plug does not get gas on it and does not fire and it also has a lot less fuel coming out of the carb[/highlight=yellow]. I do not believe it would be timing because who would take the whole engine out to do the top end? It has good spark, and good compression. Any ideas?
Does FLOODED to the bejeezuz(max) sound about right. See just how much gas is in the case by taking out the case drain plugs. Not having your needle and seat parts installed and gas pouring out the carbs....NOT GOOD.
Okay, I will have to get that part then! How come no gas is going to the other plug then? Or is it just enough fuel? It seemed that the side that was flooding WAS the one that was firing, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
is the carb thats not gettin gas the one without the washer on the needle and seat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, the first time I tried to start it, I put fuel in the cylinders, filter full of fuel and hooked up to the pump but not upto the fuel shut off valve. So would the one cylinder still foul and the other not get a whole lot of fuel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
mikey007 said:
Also, the first time I tried to start it, I put fuel in the cylinders, filter full of fuel and hooked up to the pump but not upto the fuel shut off valve. So would the one cylinder still foul and the other not get a whole lot of fuel?
Just go back to square one (start over) drain the case, straighten up the carbs,hook the lines back up and this time DO NOT POUR GAS INTO IT...JUST CHOKE... or no choke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ultrawillie said:
mikey007 said:
Also, the first time I tried to start it, I put fuel in the cylinders, filter full of fuel and hooked up to the pump but not upto the fuel shut off valve. So would the one cylinder still foul and the other not get a whole lot of fuel?
Just go back to square one (start over) drain the case, straighten up the carbs,hook the lines back up and this time DO NOT POUR GAS INTO IT...JUST CHOKE... or no choke.
Okay, I got an update - I took apart the carbs and that O ring that I thought was missing is INDEED there so that is not the problem. Both plugs seem to be getting a sufficient amount of gas. When I drained the case bolts, one side( the clutch side) has much more gas/oil coming out of it, maybe two table spoons. The other side has some come out of it but not near as much. Once in a while it will backfire out of the y-pipe with a large flame. Still no luck. Any other ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mikey007 said:
ultrawillie said:
mikey007 said:
Also, the first time I tried to start it, I put fuel in the cylinders, filter full of fuel and hooked up to the pump but not upto the fuel shut off valve. So would the one cylinder still foul and the other not get a whole lot of fuel?
Just go back to square one (start over) drain the case, straighten up the carbs,hook the lines back up and this time DO NOT POUR GAS INTO IT...JUST CHOKE... or no choke.
Okay, I got an update - I took apart the carbs and that O ring that I thought was missing is INDEED there so that is not the problem. Both plugs seem to be getting a sufficient amount of gas. When I drained the case bolts, one side( the clutch side) has much more gas/oil coming out of it, maybe two table spoons. The other side has some come out of it but not near as much. Once in a while it will backfire out of the y-pipe with a large flame. Still no luck. Any other ideas?
Well, I still have the same problem. When I pour gas into the cylinders it will do the flames out of the exhaust thing but will not start. Is it possible that it is the crank seals or it is sucking air in somewhere? I thought it would at least fire more and start if the crank seals were gone.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top