Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to pick up a free snowmobile. According to the registration it is a 1987 Arctic Pant 500. The owner says its a panther, but all I could find for 87 panther are 440s. Is this a panther or possibly a Pantera. He said it is a 500 liquid.

Anyways he moved and needs to free up space so he told me I can take it. It ran in 02, but the recoil broke and he never fixed it. So I am interested in it, prob will pick it up this weekend. Anyways, just looking for more information on the sled, if anyone knows anything about this year cats let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
The price is right, recoil shouldn't be too hard to fix. Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope. Only the recoil rope broke, but then he took it apart and couldnt get it back together. That was years ago now, so I am sure there are a few parts missing.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Recoil parts are cheap. Older sleds seem to run forever and are loads of fun. Kimpex has a piston listed for 86-88 Panther 500.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Most likely if its a liquid its a pantera. I dont think they ever did make a liquid panther. But correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I picked it up today. Its a 1987 panther 440 fan. Owner didnt know what he was talking about, I just called it a night. It has sat for 5-6 years at least, I drained tank, cleaned carb and airbox,new plugs, went over all wires and connections, put a little 2 stroke oil through plug holes to lube jugs then let sit for a few hours. After lots of pulling and replacing hoses, IT runs perfect and starts first pull but doesnt want to idle, I have to hold the throttle open slightly. I cleaned the carb, and turned the idle screw all the way in, still wont idle. What would this be? Needkle and seat after sitting so long (2000ish).

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Possibly bad compression. Check it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What should the compression be on these engines. Also I am positive its a 500 fan now, boy all the run around on this engine. Registration says 500, and fan shroud has little 500 fan emblem way down by recoil

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I tested the compression. With engine cold both sides tested out between 128-130 psi with 3 pulls. So the compression should be good. Also it has only 4000 on it. I noticed going through everything that a lot of the lines are cracked. I will replace all the fuel and vaccum lines that look bad. I also think that possibly the way it smoked so horribly the first 10 minutes of use (thick white smoke) and milky residue on garage floor, that there must have been old gas in lines and tank even though it looked dry.

So I am going to replace the lines and go through the carbs again, the pilots probably could have gotten plugged if there was still old gas/water/crud in the lines and tank. Then I'll get back to you all. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok well I cleaned the carbs again, everything seems to be good. The carbs were jets were completely clean all the passages are free. I cleaned the entire inner carb, and the air screws. I also tested the needle and seat. I couldnt blow through the passage when the floats were pressed up, but the flow free when I let the floats back down, so that seems good. I am not sure what to do next. I replaced all the gas lines, the impulse line, the oil lines, pretty much every hose. But it still runs like $hit.

It is also very hard to start, takes me a long ass time to get it started, but other times it will fire off first pull, its not even cold out, and when it is running it wont idle.

If anybody knows what I should check next, or give a me a list of things to check over I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
You changed all the lines you could see. Check the pickup hose and filter inside the gas tank. That could be messed up, too.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No its getting plenty of gas, I checked, thats not the problem. I talked to a freind with an identical snowmobile. He said to check a switch on the back side of the throttle flipper, he has been having the same problems and says that switch is at fault. Does anybody know of a way to bypass the throttle switch.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I bypassed the ignition switch, kill switch, and throttle switches with jumper wires. I have constant fire on the plugs, but it still wont start. Could the float setting be of possibly causing it to constanly flood, the plugs are always pretty wet.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well. I am officially an Idiot. I got it running good just a little bit ago. When I first got it home I cleaned the carbs up really good and nre plugs, also went through everything. It fired up but would not idle. The next day I pulled the carbs and cleaned them again tand replaced all the liness, hinking some gunk that had settled in the tank or lines plugged the pilot. Still wouldnt Idle.

Today I went though all the wiring but still nothing. So I pulled the carbs again tonight thinking the floats may have stuck because it was always flooding, thats when I felt stupid. I forgot to put the pilot back in. Thankfully it was still where I had it on the toolbench. Runs good now, thanks for the help everyone.

Oh ya I'll post some pics of the beauty[;)] soon....

·
Registered
802 Posts
Perhaps bad crankseals could be the problem.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am still having problems with it. The sled runs good for the first couple minutes after starting (except bog off the line), and has suprising power for a 500 fan. But after only 2-3 minutes when it gets warm it bogs so bad it wont even move. Any ideas? Would this be sign of a bad crank seal or gasket? Even though everywhere looks dry.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
well on a sled of this age ,ive had to do it on mid 90's sled if it has had cheap gas in it all its life ,will get like a film on the inside of everything ,then when you take them out ,after cleang carbs darn things will start and run great till you take them out ,then this film comes off goes threw the screended pickup and gets in the needles and seats, usually what i do it put a small inline filter going to the carb's ,another thing to do is to get the either out ,and warm it up like you'll doing ,and spray the pto end seal ,base gaskets etc and see if it revs or some times will bog ,good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts