Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Indy 600 triple with a fresh motor. Stock pipe and jets.

I have this deep snow issue. It seems that the engine never gets up to a high enough RPM to keep the track spinning and then the thing bogs down and the motor will load up and never clean out.

Please help. It's very frustrating to have to get off and push in the deep powder to keep the thing moving not to meantion embarassing to get roosted by your buddies.

I upgraded the primary to a stiffer spring so the clutch hits later in the rpm range. The sled had about 5000 miles on it. But still no difference in the deep stuff.

I need to check the belt deflection. If it's too loose will it cause this problem cuz the belt isn't low enough when the clutch closes?

HELP!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
to me it sounds like a secondary clutch issue ide try cleaning it and moving the spring up one hole if not put a new spring in it and replace the buttons

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any special instructions for checking those buttons and springs?

I'm gonna pull the secondary off tonight and see what I got.

What makes you think it's the secondary? Just curious as I have no idea about this one. I just know it sucks in the deep snow.

Thanks alot,
KB

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have an 85 600. Check the spider. If you can, take the clutch off the motor and push it down. Then when it is pushed down move it back and forth to see if there is play. If there is you might want to rebuild if(buttons and rollers).If there isn't then yout primary should be fine. They are fun when the run right. Mine topped out around 90mph last year (before the motor blew).

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree with Bobinwi. The secondary clutch is shifting up to fast for your power. This will be more of an issue in deep or wet snow. The clutches need to work together, if one isn't working properly it doesn't matter how good the other is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I recall at the end of the season last year I also had a problem when I was running wide open and then let off the gas coasted for a few and then back on it the engine bogged down and wouldn't rev up. Liek you were stuck in 5th gear going up a steep hill in your car. It wouldn't down shift to bring the rpm's back up. Is this also the secondary clutch?

Is ther anything special about taking the secondary apart to change the buttons and move the spring?

If I move the spring to a different hole what effects will it have.

Clutching seems to be a grey area for me. Is there a website that anyone know that will explain it to a T?

Appreciate the response.

KB

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The driven clutch (secondary) controls all back-shifting, and the primary clutch controls all up-shifting. Definitelly sounds like you've got a problem in your secondary clutch. Something is binding, or your spring is broken or like the guys said above.

Here is a basic diagram of what the secondary looks like.
Here
It's not the exact one for your sled, but having a picture always helps when working on them. The only thing holding the entire clutch together is a snap-ring on the back. It's under some spring pressure, so push down on the helix to take pressure off the snap ring. Everything comes out after that, just keep an eye out for which hole the spring was in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now it all makes sense. I will def have to take apart that secondary. New spring and buttons are in order fo sheezie.

KB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts