Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I just picked up an '87 Tundra with a cracked chain casing ... I managed to replace that, but when trying to start it up my recoil just quit and will not catch anymore ... is it a problem that can be easily checked out/fixed? I have done work on (older) autos, chainsaws, etc., so can generally figure things out with a little time and patience. Also, rather then cause more grief by experiementing, does anyone know where I can get a service manual?

Thanks all!

Chris

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
well for the recoil isuggest pulling it off and inspecting. then cleaning and regreasing all the parts. with age grease can actually harden and make things not work normally. as for finding a service manual just goto google or any other search engine and type it in there should be able to find one. or try ebay

bobby

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bobby!

I was outside working on it yesterday and got a bit cool (no workshed 'til the summer), but am heading out right quick to try and get it mobile again.

I'll have to try ebay for the manual. I tried searching using Copernic, but couldn't find anything ... even the retail sites don't have anything like that.

Thanks again

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The locking spring was gone and needed replacing.

I now have another questions tho' ... the starter rope comes about halfway out before engaging, resulting in less engine rotation during starting - I think this means I have to pull more = more wear on the rewind starter assembly. Is it possible to adjust the assembly so that it engages earlier and will this result in a quicker start? (although once warm a quick pull is all I need).

Thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
You should be able to get a manual at crappy tire.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hey...what you've got is a combo of both broken and really worn pawls. Called "Started Pawls" by Bombardier...they are easily replaced after accessing the starter unit. Either thay or the pawl springs are broken...as for manuals...www.clymer.com...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts