Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
The Yamaha Exciter Again. This is a 1987 but it must be a late 1987 as the 1987 manual does not show the heater grips as a option in the wiring diagrams. The 1988-1989 one does show the wiring for the grips and I have included it.

The last thing I have to do before putting it back in the trailer is swap out the Steering bar for one I got at a swap a few falls back.

Anyways the original heater on the one side was damaged by broken wires at the grip. Someone had bought a after market thermal heater that attached to the handle bar. Think old school ceramic box type of thing. So looking at the rigged situation I just bought another complete steering bar on the cheap that was in good shape.

So I have the steering bar in place, the cables, and the rest of the wiring in place except for the grip wiring. Before hooking the wiring all up what kind of voltage should be outputted on the Black/Yellow Wire. Is it 12volts?

Also the switch I have has a high and a low setting. The book only has a on and off. My guess there is a resistor in the switch affecting High and low. Can anyone comment if I am on the right track?

Thanks for the info and help,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All,
I got some time this week to look at this some more.

It appears the High Low Switch has 3 connections.

From looking at diagrams online (Hotgrips.com) it appears that the center is commonly the HOT wire.

The high and low are the remaining connections.

The grips have each 2 wires.

I have ran each Grip off the HOT wire and the assumed ground wire (Only remaining wire left on the column) which also happens to be Solid Black.

But looking at the diagrams (Hotgrips.com) some more, keep in mind these are not YAMAHA diagrams, It appears the Grip Warmers are using "Ground" handlebar Metal as ground not the additional assumed to be ground wires (black) from each grip. So in essence removing the need for my one black wire to be connected (Not tried it disconnected...might try that).

So it would give me the impression that the Low Side may go to one Wire on the Grip Warmer and the High Side the Other Grip Wire and the Ground is from the handlebars. So the switch is just controlling the one side of circuit (HOT).

I will verify out but I believe I will also include a fuse on the HOT wire for protection.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts