Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i picked it up a mint classic for the wife 2800 miles i paid 200 bucks runs like a top it has been sitting for 8 years i just or new seals and hi fax cleaned the carbs. think i got a good deal. ps i also cleaned the secondary it was sticky

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Good find. Make sure the track isn't rotted (shouldn't be a problem if the sled was stored with the rear end off the ground.)
also check for frozen/rusted front suspension AND the front shaft of the rear suspension. Jump on the sled and put all your weight on the front bumper, should move up and down normally.
Clean the primary clutch as well.
make sure gas in the tank is fresh, and the fuel pick-up line in the tank isn't rotted off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya good points man i will do that i will give it a 1 over if not more i might premix dont trust thest old injections

what i ment to say is i im going to go through the moter gaskets and seals just to be safe

·
Registered
572 Posts
check all fuel lines for dry rotting and brittleness, all idlers for free rolling, etc. give it a real good 1 over after sitting that long

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I rode one of those for many years. I think the older sleds didn't have the grease fittings on the rear suspension. That's the first place I would start. Take out the rear suspension and see if the cross shafts are rusted into place. If they are and you can't get them to move, just replace the skid with a X10. The rails are also probably egged out on some of the bolt holes.

Soak the front end suspension, bolts, tie rod ends etc in WD for a couple days. These older sleds that sat around tend to seize up in all the movable areas. Front shocks probably need replacing too.

You got a heck of a deal but be aware of these and other potential problems.

D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Oil injectors are pretty fail proof. You dont really see them going out that much. Premixing the gas actually isnt as good as an injector. With an injector, its putting more oil into the engine with more throttle, as premix is running the same amount of oil at idle as Wide open throttle. I personally would keep the oil injector on there. what color is your classic?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
xltboys said:
hey guys i picked it up a mint classic for the wife 2800 miles i paid 200 bucks runs like a top it has been sitting for 8 years i just or new seals and hi fax cleaned the carbs. think i got a good deal. ps i also cleaned the secondary it was sticky
If you need any parts for it I have one of these that I dont want, and am parting out

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thats a good sled my friend had one and thats a good deal too good find. Yeah i would check it all over if its been sitting for 8 years

1 - 10 of 10 Posts