Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 1988 indy 400 2-up isfor sale aroundthe cornerfrom me for $800 i believe, my dad is looking at buying it for my mom and sister. Is there anything we should look at on the sled before purchasing it besides the normal stuff like tunel, motor, track, suspension, etc... Also, he is looking at a 2000 (maybe 2001) SRX with a blown motor and a 1999 or 2000 SXR motor to go in it. Im not sure of the prices on those. Maybe i should also put this nin the yammi section. Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
had an 87' 400...great sleds, i think the 88's were even quicker, pretty reliable old sleds, fast for a 400 really. im not aware of any issues with them.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I would offer him $500.00 for it, its a 1988

·
Registered
206 Posts
i just sold the 87 last year for 1000 but it was really nice shape, new ski skins, sliders, new clutch, new suspension, stuff like that

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
the 400 is a great engine and is pretty snappy due to the sleds fairly light weight ( 440lbs ). Overall they are a great trail sled and good for an older teen or wife. I had a 90 Indy 400 when I was 15, great sled, reliable, good on gas, cheap parts...

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Excellent machines!
In stock form, they should see 17 miles per gallon.
Its rated at 62.5 horsepower.
The low end is a little "doggy," but once you get the rpm's up, the motor really comes on strong. I fixed that problem with an Aaen Trail Torquer pipe.
There are things I *wish* this sled had, but they aren't problems or flaws.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is 62.5 hp enough for a s-up sled though. IF tehy came up to a water hole, would it be alright, if the driver knew what to do? Sorry I dont know any more info about it, it was in the swapsheet and my dad called on it. Is the engine just a de-bored fuji 500 motor?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i had 2 85 indy 400's GREAT sled. bullet proof motors on them and like others said pretty snappy for a 400.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts