Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a 88 kawi 550 stand up for free. runs needs a tune. just wondering which is high speed and which is low speed and if the facotry setting is 1.5 out. thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
welcome to the kawi stand up club! i got an '84 550.

factory settings are 1-1/16 low and 15/16 turns out on the high.

you may want to try pwctoday.com in the vintage section. great guys over there who will help you get pretty much any problem figured out.

·
Registered
538 Posts
ahh yeah, i forgot that the 88 550 has more than just the high and low adjustments.

there is a regular high and low speed adjuster, then there is a third screw next to the low or high speed (i cant remember which side its on at the moment). that third one is for adjusting the idle mixture only. then the last adjustment should be on the throttle wheel for adjusting the idle speed.

if you have a different setup than described, you may have a totally different carb. stock, it should have a mikuni BN44 which is a roundbody pumper carb with 4 bolts holding the air filter on.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya that sounds about right. i brought her out on the lake with some buddys died in 10 min. didnt even get a chance to ride it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i was just out workin on it and i set the carb to spec, and relized its just flooding itself out. when u lookin th carb gas just DUMPs into it. also is it ok to run out of water?

·
Registered
134 Posts
ill been looking on the list.there is one for 250 but has no registration for it.is there anyway i can get a new registation. sorryfor off topic a bit

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
ethan.justinger said:
ill been looking on the list.there is one for 250 but has no registration for it.is there anyway i can get a new registation. sorryfor off topic a bit
Registration is what you get at your town hall [beatup]. Do you mean a title? I'm pretty sure anything like that all you need is a bill of sale then you go register it yourself.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya im not sure how it is where u live but here its the same as registering a sled. in mass we bring the bill of sale to the powersports section of the RMV and then pay sales tax and for a sticker and in New Hampshire just go to your local gas station and get a sticker i believe.

·
Registered
538 Posts
polarisripper28 said:
so i was just out workin on it and i set the carb to spec, and relized its just flooding itself out. when u lookin th carb gas just DUMPs into it. also is it ok to run out of water?
yeah, you can run it out of the water for up to 30 seconds.

i bet the problem is with the needle and seat if its just dumping fuel into the motor. my 550 was running like crap, it would either starve of fuel or flood out, so i changed the needle and seat from another carb someone gave me and its been running fine.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya i did a carb cleaning last night tested it out and getting no gas, so i took it home and this morning i did a little adjustment on the lever for the needle and it ran mint all day. we also deiced that if the battery was dead then it wont work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts