Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
thats good
As long as they are both close.

Im assuming it doesnt run since your asking this.
First thing to do is clean the carbs. Then put new plugs in it and it hopefully will start right up for ya

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wilb said:
thats good
As long as they are both close.

Im assuming it doesnt run since your asking this.
First thing to do is clean the carbs. Then put new plugs in it and it hopefully will start right up for ya
Actually it starts on the first or second pull every time. I was just wondering if that was too low of compression.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's fine. My indy 400 has 130 psi and my 500 has 120 psi on a fresh top end. My ZR ran fine with 98 lbs in both.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
100 psi. is getting on the low side. Many of these older sleds will run for a while like yours. The problems are when a piston skirt breaks and does more damage than if the pistons were replaced when it was showing signs of wear from years of heat cycles. This is from past experience on a '90 Indy 500. The advantage is there are a lot of 400, 440, & 500s out there so parts are fairly easy to come by and the swap from one to another is an easy one.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Yep, $200 is a steal.

Spend another $100&change and put in a set of pistons/rings over the summer, and have a nice reliable backup beater sled.

·
Registered
288 Posts
those old indy's are reliable and one tough cookie. My friend has a 89 indy 400 that the suspension was shot the track had ALL the lugs worn off and it was busted to hell but the engine had 9.5k miles and she started 2nd pull everytime. the engine is very reliable and fast. we beat that thing.. rolled it, endoed it and hit a culvert with it. still ran fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seems alittle on the low side. Dont loose sleep over it though! As long as it runs good! Not a bad deal though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts