Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 1989 Polaris Indy 500 I was riding it and all of a sudden it shut off so I pulled it about 20 times and used starting fluid and it started right back up and ran perfect for about 20 minuts, then died so I pulled it about 20 times again with starting fluid and the same thing happened again, I was told it was a fuel pump issue, so I replaced it and the same problem is happening, I cleaned the carbs, replaced the spark plugs, spark plug boots, fuel lines, fuel filter, Yes the filter inside the gas tank is still good. At this point I am at a dead stop on this project. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Couple things that might help: remove and clean the surge line from the engine to your fuel pump, sometimes it gets clogged; inspect your carb boots (rubber flanges between the carb and engine) for cracks, cracks cause lean mixture (in a pinch I've fixed this by wrapping black electricians tape around the flanges); if it's flooding you'll need to clean or change your needle valves in the carbs. Check your compression, it could also be a problem with your piston/rings or skirts. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Let us know what you come up with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts