Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 650 indy ..just wanted to hear a little input on this machine..realibilty,pros and cons..basically what can i expect from this machine..thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I personally had a 1988 polaris indy 650. It was one of the most reliable sleds i have ever had. For being in the late 80's and early 90's, those sleds were the s#it, if you put pipes on the thing you won't believe the difference. I drove a 91 Indy 650 with a newly rebuilt motor, PSI pipes, and K&N filters and that thing wa one heck of a sled. Pros are that things power and reliability(if it is and was taken care of) Cons the suspension, older sleds are not mogul eaters, overall its a good sled though

Patrick

·
Registered
637 Posts
My 650 has been good to me.. the best upgrade I have done was install an extra 10 suspension.. also the 12.8 gal gas tank makes life easier too.. I recently took my slp triple pipes and went back to the stocker.. this almost doubled my fuel milage... I should get over 2000 miles this season w/ no major problems. The motor was fresh at the start of the season..

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I bought a 89 650 new. When I sold it it had 10,000 miles on it and still looked like new. I ran it stock for a couple of years then I had it ported, heads cut, carbs bored, SLP pipes, Fox Shocks, and seat and tank off a newer Indy 440 bigger tank. The sled was a blast to drive. The motor work really woke that thing up. If you add pipes get your crank welded. Riley

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have a 1991 Indy. She's only a 500, but there is over 15,400 miles on it. So reliable and will start at any temp with only 3 pulls of the cord.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a 90 650 with 4500 miles. So far it blew up once (lack of oil) other than that its been a good runner, just beats the hell out of me on bumps.

Just picked up a new track today for her, will be a summer project.

CD

·
Registered
31 Posts
by the way my sled had over 7000 miles and started in any temp on no more than the 4th pull

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The Fugi triple was a verry good sled.those are the days when Polaris ruled the triple class sleds.OH the good old days.cant beat the sound or top end speed of a tripple.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I`ve got a 91 Indy 650 with about 15000 miles on her, and i dont have too many complaints, the things that have happened i can understand because the guy before me didnt really take care of it and the mileage. Its a great sled and I hope it lasts me a little while longer.

Oh, I forgot to add it has no problem keeping up with my in-laws formula delux 700.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
650Indy those 10,000 miles were on the origional motor. I did brake the crank at about 6000 miles and did bore it over .010 at the same time. I blew a head gasket just before I sold it. For the most part it was a very good sled. Most of it has to do with th owner. I am doing a crank job for a guy right now on a 92 650 and either his kid ran it out of oil or the oil pump quit. The inside of the motor is dry as a bone. Riley

·
Registered
637 Posts
I geuss it definatly helps having owned the sled from new.. I put two motors in this season alone.. went .020 over and three new pistons at the start of the season.. about 600 miles later sezied solid.. took the cylinders off, connecting rod went through the piston.. I had a spare motor.. slapped three new pistons in it.. good to go.. That's probably the best part about them any snowmobile graveyard has an abundnace of 650s and parts..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts