Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have posted before about my sled and I did rebuild the carbs I replaced the needle and seat and main jet. Now the sled will only start if I hold the throtle in all the way and I have to hold it in about 1/2 inch to keep it iddling or it will stall. Also I noticed that gas is leaking out of one of the overflow lines on the right carb but not the left. Also it looks like its leaking oil from somewhere and smokes really bad when pushed hard. Also it sounds like its miss firing at low rmps. Also I don't know if this is normal but the clinders heat up a ton after running about 5-10 min. Any help would be very VERY much appreciated. I feel this problem is beyond me fixing. Also is it worth fixing or should I just get it running and dumb it thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
gas running out the overflow means your needle and seat isnt doing its job,you have something stuck in it or not working right,it will flood up thru the needle jet and thats why you are having to hold the throttle open,take that carb apart again and find out whars wrong

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so could the needle and seat be no good I bought them new or could they be over tighent or just something stuck what do you think is most likely thanks

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sounds like your floats aren't closing the needle and seat properly. Make sure they are adjusted correctly and they close the seat when the floats are up.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The float arm should be about level with the carb body when you turn the carb upside down and look at it.

You may also be having issues with safety switches in the throttle block. Does it have spark when you try to start it, or do you have to hold it open to get it to fire?

Do the carbs have safety switches? They are very tempermental and many people just bypass the safety feature by unplugging the switches and jumping the wires going back toward the throttle...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the arms don't stay level and yes I do have to hold it open to start it how do I fix the arms thanks also does it matter what way the seat sits on the needle when I screwed the needle back in it turn somewhat to the left

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
To set the float, there is a small tab that pushes down on the needle. Gently bend that tab until the float is level (that will get you in the ball park.)

It should not matter how the needle/seat orients, about the only thing to look for is that it will open and shut with the float and that it doesn't have any debris in there.

Do you have spark with the throttle at idle?

Do the carbs have safety switches? (wires coming off the carb to a wiring block that goes to the throttle) I looked on AlphaSports.com to see if there were carb switches listed for the EXT and none were listed; but on my 90 Prowler, it does have 'em. If so, they may need adjustment, or the electromagnetic switch on one or the other carb may be bad, or the magnet inside the slide may have dislodged. More things to check.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Originally posted by KevinEX570
[br]Sounds like your floats aren't closing the needle and seat properly. Make sure they are adjusted correctly and they close the seat when the floats are up.
That's what I was thinking..

Look for a carb set on ebay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how do I know if the floats are closing the needle and seat just by looking at it if the bowl is on. Also if was looking for a used carb what whould I look for I have a 530

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
again being a 90 model may have to cut each line going to each carb and install a inline fuel filter on each carb ,have had to do this to many sleds no matter what brand ,whats happens in varnish comes out of the fuel pump and fouls up you're needles and seats

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats a good idea I think the needle and seat are fine imo because the old ones worked it wasn't till I changed them out I had a problem. Also if I put two more fuel filters running of each carb that won't effect the flow of gas into the carbs thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
put a piece of gas line on the carb and hold it up in front of you while blowing air into it,push the float up until you cut off the air,adjust until you get it right

1 - 13 of 13 Posts