Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be looking at a 1990 Indy 400 for my little sis on Monday, provided everything looks good I'll probably be bringing it home but my concern is that it won't be able to keep up with the indy trail that another family member will be riding...I'm thinking that it'll be able to at least hang with it right? 400 liquid cooled vs 500 fanner?

I know I can leave 'em both in the dust with my sled but I slow it down when they tag along...not so sure the family on the Indy trail will have the presence of mind to keep the Indy in their sights, or stay off their hind end when riding drag.

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
The 400 will walk away from a Indy trail fan. Great little sleds, I had one with over 10k miles on it before the motor was opened up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yup I have a indy 400 and a indy trail 488 fan and the 400 eats its lunch. Those 400's are snappy, your sis will love it!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
the 400's are fast as heck for what they are. ive owned a couple. it'll eat the trail up no problem.

·
Registered
564 Posts
FOR SURE, one of the guys in our groups got one with 8500 miles on it, runs like a top! Ridin hard and put away wet and the motor still runs like a champ, Id actually love one for just trail banging in the woods around ashland wi, cuz in the twistys itll keep up with anything in the group if you know how to ride it, cuz in the tight turns it doesnt matter how much cc you got as long as you can ride the sled and those little 4s are so fun to throw around man youll love it. We call his Pinky, cuz its that sorta light pinkish whit with metal flake, fun little sled. And if you think the suspension is to harsh its really not hard to throw an extra 10 in them. But perfect choice, oooo and the mileage, they run forever and use about a teaspoon of gas.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I know having that small of an engine, it should get great mileage, but I know somebody that has one and she gets a lot less than the rest of us....Maybe just how she rides?? It tops out about 65-70mph. Fun little sled, very light and easy to throw around.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I was able to pull low 80s mph with my 1984 400 I had, now we have a 86 400 sks and it tops around 70-75. Not sure why but that 84 had alot more power,could hardly tell the difference between that and the indy 500. I think clutching makes a big difference on them,I am going to try and find a good setup for the 86 this winter.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
My '91 did 83 or 84 on the speedo. After I swapped in an extra-10 skid, I never got it going that fast again, but it rode quite a bit smoother.

·
Registered
564 Posts
They are fun to bomb around on, I think pinky does about 70 or 75, she does need a little work, but my uncle does plan on putting in the xtra 10 b4 the snow 201092620201140_33241.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well we ended up with it[:p]
This thing looks like it just left the dealer!
It runs great, miles are a bit high, just over 7000 but it was incredibly well maintained and everything I've heard about this engine says that it'll run for a long time yet.
This guy bought it new in 1990 and has had it ever since, it came with the manual and a cover and he even had the sale tag that the dealer hung on it when it was new (tag had a price of $3500 BTW...wish I could get a new sled for that now....) She decided to call it Cherry because it is cherry red and in "cherry" condition. I'm just glad she didn't go with her initial choice of Floyd[confused]

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
600XCSpecial said:
Well we ended up with it[:p]
This thing looks like it just left the dealer!
It runs great, miles are a bit high, just over 7000 but it was incredibly well maintained and everything I've heard about this engine says that it'll run for a long time yet.
This guy bought it new in 1990 and has had it ever since, it came with the manual and a cover and he even had the sale tag that the dealer hung on it when it was new (tag had a price of $3500 BTW...wish I could get a new sled for that now....) She decided to call it Cherry because it is cherry red and in "cherry" condition. I'm just glad she didn't go with her initial choice of Floyd[confused]

Im surprised it stays this nice sitting in a field.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
polarisorbust said:
Im surprised it stays this nice sitting in a field.
It was parked there all of two seconds to get some pics to show people and then was put up in the garage until the snow flies[;)]

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I beat the crap out of mine for years. Like others said, it will keep up to everything in the trails. Lakes...well that's a different story. On 7 gallons of gas, it needed a fill when others were filling 10 gallons.
Pull and go. I had mine to 90 mph on the ice with the speedo. Only thing that was touching the ice were the studs and carbides.

If you get to ride it, just tape the throttle down and hold on through the twisties. That will corner like an 'Indy' Car. Ha, I made a funny...kinda.
D

·
Registered
564 Posts
yeah that thing is immaculate, keep it that way. Ours looks like S h I t, cuz we beat the crap out of it, but like i said b4 and like the others have said. In the corners it is so easy to throw around, and dam they are fun. There also like 2 pounds like the 340 and 440 jags of the late 80s, u can pick up the back with on hand and put it on a stand. ENJOY shes really a nice lookin sled. Also if you dont mine me asking what did you pay for this jem?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts