Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first sled.. I borrowed it last year from a friend who had the motor rebuilt and bored out 2 yrs ago... we got about 200 miles on it and the primary cluch, began sticking... well the rollers were shot and the weights were really worn. So I now ordered a comet 108exp. I am going to use Comet's gold spring and a-54 54.3 gram weights.. Now for the secondary.. I ordered EPI's quad angle stage 2 QA2 Im pretty sure that the secondary spring should be changed too... Anyone have a good spring to start with on this set up? I will be using it on the river a little but mostly trails. I would like to get it over 100mph occasionally, but also good take off... any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Congrats on your first sled. Believe me this sled should easily hit the century mark. They have quite a bit of power. Sorry I can't help you with your clutching though.

Also welcome to The ULTIMATE Snowmobile Forum! Stick around and keep posting, it gets really interesting in winter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you know the ratings on the comet gold spring? With 54 gr. weights you should want a spring in the neighborhood of 160/300 lb rating. Also the steeper the helix the stiffer the secondary spring. Make sure after setting up the clutch that the motor pulls between 7800-8200 rpm for peak rpm assuming you have the stock pipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gold spring is rated at [email protected]/8 - 296 @ 1-1/8. It still has stock pipes. Now should i stick with the original polaris red secondary spring.. Or should i look for something stiffer.. i was going to pick up a couple of them.. and give them a shot...

·
Registered
133 Posts
the stock secondary setup should work fine, but there is always room for improvement, the steeper the helix the stiffer the spring. I will guess that your primary setup will engage at 4k and full shiftout will be at 8000 rpm, so it should be pretty good.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I needed a stiffer spring when I put a epi tri-angle helix in my 650. Epi sells the correct one for thier helix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok.. I think i will give the Yellow a shot... looks like that is the recomended one by EPI.
Thanks for your help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts