Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out my rear suspension on my 1990 Indy 650... on the back there are 3 holes.. what hole would be the best for the softest suspension.. thanks.. scott

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Are you talking about the rear mounting holes, where the rear of the suspension mounts to the tunnel? If so, that doesn't really affect the stiffness of the suspension. In my experience, though, the ride is better with the front of the rear suspension mounted low in the tunnel, and the rear of the rear suspension mounted higher in the tunnel. That puts more weight on the front (center) shock and torque arm. That way you can soften up the rear torsion springs and get a good ride without bottoming so much. In those machines, I like to have the rear mounted in the first hole ABOVE the running board. If you have the means to do so, take a picture of the side of the tunnel.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
On the holes on the slide rails, I found out on mine that if you put the rear arm in the hole closest to the front of the sled, it will be softer. You can also change the torsion springs setting also for a softer ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I should be more specific.. on the alumium rails.. I think mine is in the front hole.. It looks like if I move it to the back one it would heighten the suspension(stiffer?).. what about these springs Im assuming I have old stock spring. .there is different tension springs? also the top of my shock was scratched thanks for all the help scott

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yes, if you move that arm back into a farther hole, the ride will stiffen. For springs, you can get many different kinds for your sled. I always get Heavy Duty springs for my sleds. And I've had every shock of mine on the top of the eye part get scratched too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Those three holes in the slide rail (connected to the rear scissor) also affect weight transfer. The closest hole to the front will allow the most transfer, and the hole in the back, the least. I always trail rode my older Indy's with it in the middle, and moved it forward for drag races where more transfer was needed. I also trail rode with the springs set to the tightest setting (200lbs rider) for an agressive riding style. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts