Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1990 Indy trail 488 that sat for a few years. I went through the carbs thoroughly and got the thing running. There was some fuel in the tank but wasn’t horrible smelling. I’ve seen worse. So I added a couple gallons of fresh gas and the thing woke up. Every few days I’d start it up. Each time it idled smoother and reved better. Then one day it started getting boggy. Now it won’t run at all. Tried the spare plugs to no avail. Tried spraying some carb cleaner in the carb and no difference. It will act like it will turn over and may even start to run choked at a very low idle but dies within a few seconds.

Any suggestions? Water in the carb? CDI? Coil? Stator? Crank seal?

Thanks, Kirk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Compression test ? Air in the fuel lines ? On a sled that old it could be anything. You'll have to check it over more closely.
Hmmm … compression was good when I tested it previously. The fuel cap gauge has its clear lens missing and we have had lots of rain recently. I suspect some water could have trickled into the tank. Never had to deal with water in the fuel so not sure how to test that. I’m guessing just drain some fuel from the tank into a jar and look for a water bubble at the bottom.

As well, I’ll drain and re-clean the carbs today. Maybe swap out the plugs as well.

I did replace the fuel lines and fuel filter yesterday as the fuel lines were pretty old and somewhat kinked coming from the pump. So, I was able to confirm fuel to the carb. Pump looked to be operating well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I think water or crud was the issue. Pulled it a few times this morning. It acted like it wanted to run with no choke. Found some “Heat” fuel additive which claims it remove water. Added that plus some Chemtool B12 as well as a couple gallons of fresh gas.

After about 20 pulls she started holding a low idle but not reving. Within a few minutes of running rough she was back to normal.

One can speculate. But safe to say new gas gauges and something to treat for water in the tank seems like good insurance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts