Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright thanks for that it sounded kinda sketchy to me as well when the guy told me that was what it was i called him just a little while ago and he didnt have pictures or anything just said its a 600 that will do 100 mph

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
xlt which is a tripple

unless he put a newer 600 twin into it? might be different engine

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the guy said his grandfather bought the sled new in 1990 and he got it when he past away but everything was completely stock he is only askin 300 for it and it runs and drives but needs carb work so i was thinkin it might be worth the trip to see if maybe it is in better shape than he thinks since it doesnt sound like he even knows what exactly it is

·
Registered
558 Posts
pletzracing15 said:
the guy said his grandfather bought the sled new in 1990 and he got it when he past away but everything was completely stock he is only askin 300 for it and it runs and drives but needs carb work so i was thinkin it might be worth the trip to see if maybe it is in better shape than he thinks since it doesnt sound like he even knows what exactly it is
Go look at it and take some pictures and put em on here!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i most likely will im headed out to the snowmobile action in bronson in the morning and if i dont find anything there thats my next stop

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah that was my thoughts i was surprised its been on craigslist for 3 or 4 days then he finally posted his phone number so i had to see what it was all about

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The_Mad_Warrior said:
xlt which is a tripple

unless he put a newer 600 twin into it? might be different engine
No xlt in 1990

Being on CL for 3 or 4 days at only $300 doesn't surprise me. People tend not to buy things from people who don't know what they are trying to sell. This guy obvious doesn't know much about the sled, if he says it's a 1990 600 twin. Which also makes me believe he would say it doesn't run because it "needs carb work." That's what most people say is wrong with a sled when they honestly don't why it doesn't run. Carb work is simple, if they were half mechanically inclined they would fix it themselves. Usually "needs carb work" means that there is a much bigger problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i went and picked it up it is a 2 up 488 trail and i set the air screw and the sled seems to run really great it had a new top end in it and it has electric start i will post pictues. its not the prettiest but wont take a lot to make it look good

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Get the seat recovered and you have a good bullit proof sled.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
thats a 488 fanner alrite. maybe repaint her and new set cover and a windshield and your set. those motors are good runners. i had one and made a custom motor mount for it to bolt into my tripple chassis and it pushed that 650 chassis pretty decent. think i could top out around 85ish. good luck

·
Registered
258 Posts
wow...not bad for 300. I would cover carbs up and vacuum and powerwash that bad boy. Maybe some new fuel lines and pick up line in the tank for that thing is prob really gone by now. New fuel filter and a Lil duck tape on the seat. Lastly grease the heck out of it! Dont forget the speedo fitting and the little grease hole on the jackshaft collar.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
on mine i took the cover off the motor and blew out all the finns since its a fan cooled motor. that way you can ensure your cooling as much as you can. they are low hp motors but are very reliable. i could jump shit with mine. here is a link of my 488 fanner on the trails. the motor that i put in my indy 650 chassis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyGtgSaj_PM

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright thanks everyone doesnt sound like i am waisting my time fixin this one up i bout some carb clean and shop rags and went to town on it last night after i shop vaced it all out and it is already looking a million times better. i do have the air box just had it off to clean and adjust the carbs. thanks everyone

·
Registered
258 Posts
Be sure to post some after pics as well [thumb]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts