Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy picked up a "junker/fixer-upper" and asked me to lend a hand...So little by little we have been cleaning and fixing...

Pulled the air box, cleaned the carbs., inspected the boots, drained the tank, replaced the filter, fresh premix (just to be sure oil pump is working)...new plugs

So last night we decided to try and fire her up...injected some fuel and after a doz or so pulls she fired up and of course was a tiny bit boggy (this went away very quickly)...after about 30 seconds she was running fine, idleing great...warmed her up checking for leaks...good throttle response everything seemed to be working fine..

All was well, till about the 5 minute mark...started racing at an idle...so i shut it down right away and looked over the situation...all appeared fine.. so pulled the cord and she fired right up again and was still racing...the throttle cables all appear to be o.k...rechecked the boots...seems fine...

Seems to me its an air leak, but doesnt have any bog?? It also doesnt seem erratic at all?..

My first thought is end seals and will be spray testing them in a few days...

What say you?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess its gonna remain a mystery till I go fix it myself...[:D]

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
seals?? are the cables loose??

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xcr440 said:
seals?? are the cables loose??
I too am thinking seals...I had the carbs off and they were super clean (must have been drained)...

Going to check the cables tomorrow and then test the seals...

Its just weird that it seems like as soon as it got to temp is when it started to racing...

I had operated the throttle up to that point and it was fine?

·
Registered
591 Posts
check to see if the slides are hanging up, all you have to do is peel the airbox off. I reccomend draining all of the old coolant out, and replacing it, no one ever pays any attention to it on sleds.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gto0209 said:
check to see if the slides are hanging up, all you have to do is peel the airbox off. I reccomend draining all of the old coolant out, and replacing it, no one ever pays any attention to it on sleds.
All fluids will be replaced when we get it running for more than 5 minutes...seemed to be a strong little motor...for the 4.5 to 5 min that it ran...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Check for air leaks at the carb flanges and base gaskets.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the problem turned out to be the slide in 1 carb...

Farva and I (along with the owner Kyle) set out on a mission Sunday afternoon to figure out what was wrong...sprayed the seals and nothing...

So pulled the air box and were inspecting the boots again, when I noticed the left side carb. slide wasnt going all the way down...

Pulled it out and inspected, appeared fine, pulled the right side and compaired the 2...the left side was assembled upside down...Farva flipped it over...reassembled and started her up...purrrreedddd like a kitten...

So Monday night we took it down to the flats and ran it around for about an hour...RUNS AWESOME!!

Thing MOVES for a 400...I was impressed...

The owner was so impressed that he has decided to keep it for at least this season...

Just needs a gas cap and a tail light lense...

Not bad for a $250 sled...

When he is done with Regi and Insurance total investment = $500

1 - 8 of 8 Posts