Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning on pulling the motor on my skidoo to clean up the snowmobile and replace some parts i was wondering if there was any thing i should replace while it is all in peices or things to look for that might have broke or worn over the years. also if you have any tips on pulling the motor and replacing bearing and things that would be great to. im new to the snowmobile thing ive only done dirtbike motors so any help would be great

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would check the motor mounts, make sure there not cracked or worn and replace the actual rubber mounts. Have the clutches rebuilt, check your jackshaft and driveshaft bearings and chain and gears. Look for worn hoses, wires and leaks. This would be a good start as far as under the hood.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok most of those parts i was planing on changing... i was also thinking of putting a indy 600 motor into it but im not sure if that will work or if its worth it. the 500 doesnt have a hole lot of muscle compaired to some of my buddies skidoos. i do alot of lake riding so i need some speed. if theres anything that could help the 500 pull a lil harder that would be great

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a 600 triple but there was also a 650 the frames and mounts loook the same from both the 500 and 600 so i think the only thing that will need to be changed are the carbs fuel pump airbox wiring and a few other thingss

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a 600 triple but there was also a 650 the frames and mounts loook the same from both the 500 and 600 so i think the only thing that will need to be changed are the carbs fuel pump airbox wiring and a few other thingss

·
Registered
32 Posts
As far as my knowledge goes it should not be to difficult. Is this 600 from a Indy 600 or a xlt, xcr? If your looking for more performance I would not use a Indy 600 motor. I would be more inclined to use the 650 motor you mentioned. I think the Indy 650 had more availble for aftermarket performance. I see 650 parts all eBay and craigslist. This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i was thinking the 650 is a better choice... i pulled the motor out today and the mounts look like they will be able to fit the 650 motor. the only thing that i think is gonna be dificult is a brake cooler. my snowmobile doesnt have a brake cooler and the 650 had a brake cooler. i might be able to just swap brake assemblys and it will work fine though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds good, another thing to be aware of is make sure your center to center on the clutches is right. I'm sure you may run into a few hang ups, but nothing that can't be worked out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will have to check the mounts from motor to motor to see if it fits because it seems to be sort of different. i hope i didnt get my self into a mess with mounts here :p

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Check the rivets for the tunnel/running-boards.. these usually need replacing. Check the rivets for the skid torsion bars... these always need replacing, either bolts or rivets... good luck in the rest!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks man.. im not sure if i will be putting the 650 into it now... im not sure if im gonna hone and put new rings on the 500 motor or just drop the 650 into it... although the 650 had more aftermarket parts and gives more power im not sure what im gonna go with... any suggestions????

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
How easy do you have it when working on your sled- you have a nice garage and all? I say go for the 650, itll pay off alot more in the long run, you'll enjoy it more, and you'll learn more.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I say drop a 650 tripple into it!!! swap isn't that hard, i did the swap from a 1989 Indy 400 to a 1992 650 tripple.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sweet... did u have to do any mounting work with it because thats the only thing that im gonna have some problem with so any help towards that would be a big help!

tdgbigfoot said:
How easy do you have it when working on your sled- you have a nice garage and all? I say go for the 650, itll pay off alot more in the long run, you'll enjoy it more, and you'll learn more.
yeah im 14 and have turned the barn into a work place for the dirt bikes and snowmobiles :p its pretty easy to work on it, my dad and a few friends can weld so making mounts might not be so bad after all

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jesse500 said:
I say drop a 650 tripple into it!!! swap isn't that hard, i did the swap from a 1989 Indy 400 to a 1992 650 tripple.
when you did this swap was mounting the motor very easy?

jesse500 said:
when you did this swap was mounting the motor very easy?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
it wasnt simple. your adding a cylinder. You need the motor, carbs, airbox, pipe, y-pipe, can, clutch components, electrical, then you need to drill new motor mounts.

I did this with a cousin. it wasnt too hard. the Old indy chassis are simple.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
great i thought it would be a hard swap. i can get all those parts so it will be no problem swaping thanks for the help!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
does anyone know how to mount the 650 motor.. or where i have to drill holes for the mounts. if anyone has picture that would be great

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DOES ANYONE KNOW where the new holes need to be drilled for the indy 650 motor to be mounted in properly!!! i need help here !!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts