Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my clutch has been making this weird noise on me when i am almost hitting wide open throtle. you can hear the noise start when its inbetween 7000 and 8000 rpm touring, then when i let off the ticking/ rattling noise gets really loud. is it time for a new clutch?

·
Registered
26 Posts
90polaris500 said:
any one???!!!!!
I don't want to say you need a new clutch, but if you have never taken them apart and inspected them, I think it's time. Ever adjust your chain?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i havent messed with the clutch at all, thats why i assumed that it was the clutch. the chain is in good condition and the noise sounds like it is comming from the clutch side, could it be the seccondary??? i havent heard this noise before

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Getting the clutches rebuilt is a good move. As far as set-up, this is what I have used in the Fuji 500 liquids and works well for the trails, off-trail, etc. in WI & the UP:

-EPI white 125/280, we used the Polaris light blue back in the day but it is no longer available. Polaris gold if you like the engagement a little lower
-10-M5 weights
-Aaen 42/34 teflon coated progressive helix
-HSP white #2
-19/36 gears stock was 19/35
-Run the vent tubes for the carbs into the airbox just above the carb intake boots. Makes jetting more consistent as the issue of underhood pressure is eliminated. If you do change to air box venting, go up 2-3 sizes on the mains.
-Air box gutted but leave the plastic shelf.
-300 mains stock was 280s
-Stock needles leaned 1 position
-air screw 1.25 - 1.5
-7800 is where the power is best for this motor. No, more than 8000 with a HOT (long WOT runs) pipe.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Higher engagement means when the sled begins to move, it is taking off when the engine is already doing rpms, meaning overall a faster take-off speed.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
90polaris500 said:
whats the difference from a high ingaugement from a low ingaugement??
4500 would be considered high engagement on a Indy 500 IMO. Near 4000 is normal. High engagement is a higher rpm than usual when the drive clutch "engages" the belt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts