Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I posted yesterday about fixing my Indy 500 EFI, but I'm coming to the conclusion that it would be much less painful just to sell it off and start over. I came across this ad for a 91 Polaris 500, it appears to be in pretty good shape.

1991 Polaris Indy 500 Twin Liquid Cooled Snowmobile NICE!

If my budget was $1000 or less, would this be a good decision/route to go?? I'm looking for reliability, serviceability, parts availability... Does this fit the bill?

Keep in mind this would only be my 2nd sled so my expectations wouldn't be too high for speed/handling/ride quality. I could pick it up this weekend. I've heard great things about the carburetor Indys but just had some rotten luck with the EFI sled...

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It looks like an over priced piece of crap.It looks pieced together,the fuel tank doesn't even belong on that sled and who knows what else.Indy 500's are awesome sleds,just not that one.Oh,and look at the weisco piston stickers on the windshield.Hhmm????I wonder if it's been blown up???LOL.Be patient you will find a way better one,even look for an Indy 440.both are bullet proof.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Not sure what mean by having the wrong tank? Looks just like the one on my '90 500. 2 piece cover. And 500 engines are known to crack pistons, seen it myself plenty of times. Wiseco is a good choice to cure that problem because they are forged. $950 is a steep price for that sled though. $600 would be a fair deal.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not sure what mean by having the wrong tank? Looks just like the one on my '90 500. 2 piece cover. And 500 engines are known to crack pistons, seen it myself plenty of times. Wiseco is a good choice to cure that problem because they are forged. $950 is a steep price for that sled though. $600 would be a fair deal.
I mean it's the wrong tank or that's not a 91 Indy 500.In 91 the fuel caps were in the centre,not off to the left like in 90 and earlier models.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
680ultraX4,

Why do you say that it looks like it's been pieced together? Simply from the painted skis/control arms etc? Also, how do you know that tank doesn't belong on that sled? I'm not trying to disprove you, I'm just trying to learn.

Although I know he could very well be lying to me, he says the top end/pistons have never been rebuilt. I will still ask again about the sticker. I also thought $950 was high, currently I've got him talked down to $850 but won't settle for more than $750 I'm thinking.

Am I off my rocker?

1,792 Posts
$750 still too high. I'd be closer to $400-500, IF I didn't find major problems with it. And who would put Wisco stickers on if they didn't have them in the sled? That yellow speedo lens says it was replaced (who knows the mileage then?) or it was the original and the sled sat outside unprotected.

·
Registered
403 Posts
680ultraX4,

Why do you say that it looks like it's been pieced together? Simply from the painted skis/control arms etc? Also, how do you know that tank doesn't belong on that sled? I'm not trying to disprove you, I'm just trying to learn.

Although I know he could very well be lying to me, he says the top end/pistons have never been rebuilt. I will still ask again about the sticker. I also thought $950 was high, currently I've got him talked down to $850 but won't settle for more than $750 I'm thinking.

Am I off my rocker?
Listen and look closely!!
1991 and up the fuel caps are in the centre of the tank.90 and earlier they are on the left of the tank.GOOGLE 1991 indy 500 pictures and look.The speedo in faded yellow and the rpm gauge is crystal clear.The nose cone has no decals on it indicating that it probably kissed a tree or something at one time and was replaced.The windshield has about a 3 inch gap between it and the speedo assembly.The hood is faded and cracked.The left IFS arm and side bumper are bent.The 500 decals are in the wrong place.The right side of the hood doesn't even close properly,and yes the half assed blue paint job.If I can pick all of this out from photo's,what does it look like in person?And people have the balls to put "NICE"in the add.I wonder what it looks like under the hood and tunnel???I would steer clear of that Jalopy.Like I said "Over Priced Piece Of Crap".......

·
Registered
403 Posts
$750 still too high. I'd be closer to $400-500, IF I didn't find major problems with it. And who would put Wisco stickers on if they didn't have them in the sled? That yellow speedo lens says it was replaced (who knows the mileage then?) or it was the original and the sled sat outside unprotected.
I'm thinking the rpm gauge was replaced that's why it's clear.The speedo key way was more than likely broken and never changed so it shows low miles or it was rewound with a drill.I did that before,a standard plug in drill will rewind a speedometer @ 61 mph.By the looks of this sled the speedo probably already rolled over once and it's making its way around again.LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
680ultraX4,

Thanks again for the input. All that makes sense, but probably worth a look in person. He says the build date is August 1990, so would it still have that gas cap style possibly?

Also, for comparisons sake, would you mind looking at the following sled? Based on your input, I would grade this sled to be of better quality based sole on pictures. Also, for the same price it seems like a better value:

1991 POLARIS INDY 500 SKS w/ reverse

Thanks again for this help and input.

·
Registered
403 Posts
680ultraX4,

Thanks again for the input. All that makes sense, but probably worth a look in person. He says the build date is August 1990, so would it still have that gas cap style possibly?

Also, for comparisons sake, would you mind looking at the following sled? Based on your input, I would grade this sled to be of better quality based sole on pictures. Also, for the same price it seems like a better value:

1991 POLARIS INDY 500 SKS w/ reverse

Thanks again for this help and input.
No problem..You said your limit is $1000?440 cc -500cc or what's your cc limit?Seems like you are in Iowa.Is the whole state of Iowa open game for u?Im going through craigs list Iowa to help you find some thing.Just reply with some info while i look around.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thanks yeah I didn't expect that much help!

Yes I'm in Iowa, pretty much the whole state is fair game, but it'd be nice if it was central, or eastern Iowa. The bigger the better as far as I'm concerned, a 500cc was what I was shooting for.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would look at the 500 SKS.Looks like its in decent shape for a 91.He is honest saying the top half was rebuilt.The reverse by it self is worth more than the other 500 period.Nice skis,new windshield,new bearings and sliders.Take a look at it and if it's in decent shape offer him $700 and go from there.The long track and cover are a bonus.Forget about the other one,it looks like trouble.Get on it though before it's gone.I checked all of Iowa craigs list and it is slim pickings.I did see a couple of bigger ones for around $1300 OBO.I just gotta find them again.how do you upload the ads onto here?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow thanks a lot 680ultraX4!

I did not anticipate getting that kind of help. Yes, my budget is $1000, and I was shooting for a 500cc (the bigger the better). I'm located in central Iowa, but pretty much the whole state is fair game.

Basically I'm looking to maximize my fun in the ditches while minimizing my cost.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was my thought exactly, I will look at it asap. I've just been copying and pasting the links.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Also if you find anything let me know!

·
Registered
403 Posts
That was my thought exactly, I will look at it asap. I've just been copying and pasting the links.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Also if you find anything let me know!
There is not too much to choose from @ that price range.I found a good looking 96 Polaris 680 Ultra for $1300 in Waterloo.These are pretty reliable sleds.I have 4 of them ( Two 96's,97 and a 98)and I never had any problems.You could call him and take a look at it.If it's in good shape offer him $1000,but bring $1100 with you just in case.Just check it out because you never know....

·
Registered
556 Posts
Stickers? I bought a sled with a v force sticker, engine was a piston port. Should i be concerned? Sleds that vintage have to be looked over. If it is a different tank, does it hold more fuel?...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is not too much to choose from @ that price range.I found a good looking 96 Polaris 680 Ultra for $1300 in Waterloo.These are pretty reliable sleds.I have 4 of them ( Two 96's,97 and a 98)and I never had any problems.You could call him and take a look at it.If it's in good shape offer him $1000,but bring $1100 with you just in case.Just check it out because you never know....
Do you have the link for that 680? That price may not be out of the question, but obviously I would prefer to stay under $1000. Which is not easy I know.... What I'm thinking is the sled I get this year will be a good starter for me, and if it's something I come to love then this sled will become my fiancé's and I will upgrade and drop some more coin next year ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright guys I've got an update! Long story short is, I don't think that the black/blue SP is quite as bad as we thought originally, but the White/blue sks is still better. AND i've got him talked down to $775! The SP guy is still at $850. Won't budge... :flick: Take a look at the dialogue below, hoping to get some more feedback! I'm pretty set in the SKS.

My one major concern is the top end rebuild on the SKS. Do you think he's accurate in saying the fouled plugs will go away after break in? Should I be worried about a "bad crank" like the SP guy says?

Thanks for following! (The dialogue makes a juicy read btw...)

Black/Blue 500 SP GuyWhite/Blue SKS Guy
Hello, is your Indy 500 still for sale?

Yes

Excellent, how many miles are on it? Has the top end been rebuilt?

3200 miles original motor

Ok, does it have title and registration?

Yes both

Ok great. There's a good chance I would be able to come look at it this Saturday, would you be available to show it? As in start/test ride if snow is available?

Yes

Ok. Honestly I'm only wanting to spend about $500, would you be able to work on the price with me?

No not that low

What would you feel comfortable doing? $600?

Hmm that may still be rather steep for me, but I will think it over and keep you posted about coming to see it. Is that ok?

Ok

Hi, I have a few more questions for you. How much wear do the hyfax have left on them? What about the carbides and wear rods? Are there ski skins on the skis? Are you the original owner? Sorry for all the questions just trying to figure out as much as I can before I drive over there from xxxxx...

Sled is EXTREMELY nice everything checked out for its yearly check up

What do you usually have done with the yearly check up? Is it done by a shop?

Yes they go through it

I see. Did u say if it had plastic ski skins or are they just painted?

Ski skins

Ok cool. How does it start up when it's cold?

1st pull

Oh good. Ok, well considering I'll have to drive about 2 hours to come get it, would you take $775?

850 is what I have to have

Well then I have some more questions.. Is it actually a 1991 or a 1990, because the 1991s have the gas tank cap in the middle, yours is on the side.
If you have the build date number that will say. Should be stamped on the tunnel

August 1990 is build date its a 91 gas cap is kicked to the left of tank

Ok. I noticed there are no graphics on the nose panel, has it been replaced?

No painted

Is there a crack on the left side of the hood? There's a dark streak through the "Indy"... Also, is that left trailing arm slightly bent?

Its a scratch

How about the trailing arm?

Yes left trailing arm is bent minor but does not effect it

Ok, does the hood close properly? It doesn't look like it's sitting in the channel correctly... Is there a reason the speedometer gage is yellowed out and the rpm gage is crystal clear?

It does and idk on other part

Ok. From what I'm seeing your sled does not appear to be as "nice" as you think it is. This is what I'm looking at buying if I don't get yours. 1991 POLARIS INDY 500 SKS w/ reverse He's basically asking the same price, but has reverse, a rebuilt top end, aftermarket skis, new hyfax and bearings etc. I will be offering him $850. Based on this comparison I'd only be willing to pay $600 for yours unless you can justify why I should pay more for your sled.

Buy it

You have no rationale as to why I should pay $850 for yours instead if his?

(1/2) Dont buy mine. Buy the one with retarded painted hood track that is shot a crank thats more than likely junk since it has twice as many miles as mine an top end thats not broke. Plus it was a top end rebuild it will be funny when it shells a rod.....buy that 1

Look a little different?
(He re-posted same picture of his track)
This is track on mine

That is another sled I put stickers on
(Sled with other miscellaneous stickers)

Ok, see that makes sense. Thank you.

Hi there, is your 91 500 sks still for sale?

Yes it is.

Excellent! I'd like to check it out Saturday morning if you are available?

What time where you thinking Saturday morning?

is 9 ok?

That will work for me.

Great. Mind if I ask a few questions? Might be a dumb question but does it have title and registration?

I do have a registration from the guy I bought it from but I never had it transferred to my name. You can have it just like you bought it from him. I just never did it cause I road it around my house and farm.

So do you not have the title then? Because I don't think I can re register without the title...

I will have to look I don't think there is a title. I would sign the back of the registration and it would be a legal transfer of ownership. I need to look at the back of the registration when I get home and I can let you know for sure. I sold an ATV a while ago and that's how it worked. I'm sure sleds are not much different.

Ok I see. As long as I can get it registered in my name, I will be happy. So has it been a good sled for you? Start ok? How fast have you gotten it?

I don't think it will be a problem but I will double check. It has been a good sled. It runs good and is strong. It can be a little hard to start sometimes because I am running the oil really heavy right now to help the engine while the piston rings seat from the top end replacement. The extra oil fouls the plugs but I will include a couple sets of new plugs to go with it. Pop new plugs in it and it will start pretty easy. It has enough power to power slide the rear end in a turn. Once the brake in period is over and the oil in back to normal amounts there shouldn't be anymore fouling issues.

Ok great thanks for sharing! As far as price, considering I have to drive down from xxxxx would you be willing to work with me on price? Would $700 be a reasonable offer?

How about 800. I would be good there. Your getting an older sled but I has a lot of new parts on it.

Can you get me in the 700 range, say $775?

I would do 775.

Perfect I have no issues with that. On the off chance I'm able to come down Friday evening would you be available?

Ya I think so. I'm free any night this week just have family get together on Saturday.

Gotcha. I will keep you posted on when I can come down. If you could let me know what you find out on registration when you get a chance that'd be great... Thanks for working with me in this.

Will do

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
That's a $450 sled. $950 is like all the other people selling sleds on Craigslist who must be SMOKING CRACK! My friend bought a '91 Indy 400 back in 2005 for $480. It was only 14 years old then. Now a '91 is 23 years old. Do people think used sleds are made of gold? I'll sell you my Edge XCSP 600 for $1,100. It's twice the sled an old Indy is. Meet you Albert Lea if I go down there to do another sled deal I'm working on.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts