Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up a '91 Indy 500 for my girlfriend a few weeks ago for $700...I posted about a chaincase leak since then, thanks again to those who helped. Gasket was shot, no big deal...figured new gear lube was a good idea anyhow. Plus I know everything looks good it there too...peace of mind.

Are these sleds pretty good in general? Dependable? It has about 3500 miles, track is about 50%, decent carbides. I had to do some steering adjustments and repace a bent tie rod. Sled seems a little "cold blooded" to start, then needs to warm up for about a minute or so before it really comes to life, but runs well, and seems pretty comfortable. Only about 10 miles on it so far...but as the say, "so far so good"....I did a carb cleaning too.

What sort of things should I keep an eye out for?

Thanks,

Burch

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Age being the biggest factor, check the carb boots as the rubber getting old and dry can cause problems. My dads 91 busted a piston skirt last year. It was cheaper to install a used engine than rebuild. Replacing just the pistons and gaskets before hand would have been the best way had we known. The 500 (488cc) is a very reliable motor. But they are getting quite old. Check all bolts and fasteners in the suspension and throughout the sled. Regular maintenance will save you problems.

·
Registered
591 Posts
grease up all the points in the suspension, did you sync you carbs? your chokes probably need some adjustment, search it on here, there are lots of threads on it, does not hurt to replace the choke cable either.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the carb boots tonight before I re-installed the carbs after cleaning them..they look good.

We took a little ride to night...brakes need some work...I'll plan to install new pads if needed, then bleed the system...any other ideas?

Thanks,

Burch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts