Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 40/36 helix and am wondering what type of springs and weights would be ideal for all around trail riding and the odd lake race,i think the spring in the primary is gold and the spring in the secondary is red, the weights are stock any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Your setup is right on, might want to change your gearing from stock. Drop a tooth from the upper gear and you'll notice a big difference in your acceleration, but your topend may drop a little tho. HOpe this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info scumpman,will try the clutch set up first before the gear change,called the local polaris dealer today and they told me to try the orange spring in the primary with the helix setup i am running,what do you think?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I'd say give it a try and see how it works for you. I know that a set up that works for someone might not be what another is looking for. I guess it depends on what you want your sled to do. Trail riding and lake racing requires different set ups. But that's part of the fun, trying different setups to see what you like and what works for you.

Some generalities I've learned is: to change engagement and rpms then work on the primary (weights/springs); to change backshifting work on the secondary (helix/springs); and to change either acceleration/mid/top end work on gearing.

Right now my set up was pretty much like yours, except I dropped a tooth on the top gear (from 21/40 stock to 20/40). I've also extended my rails and track from 121 to 136. This gives me a better holeshot right off the line but dropped my top speed, I'm running something like 75-80mph on packed trails. But I'm not looking for top end, I'm more interested in acceleration and better shifting in some powder. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just spent 500 dollars on front and rear suspension,would like to go with a 136 track but would i have to change my whole rear suspension or just the rails and would i have to extend my tunnel if you have all the info please let me know ,i just printed the last info you sent me and am thinking of changing the top gear to a 20/40 to bad i just changed my chain case oil oh well lol.
thanks for all your input it`s great info and i have it all documented.

·
Registered
700 Posts
im running 20/40 right now as well. My sled only made about 82mph before and still does after the gear change. I had stock gold springs in both clutches with a 40/32 helix and it worked great. I have since changed both springs and put a tripple angle in with the 20/40 gears. To bad the doc says no riding till the end of january. I wanna try my new parts out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts