Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I purchased my first sled this year, an Indy 650, and have only run a couple tanks of gas through it, and have run into a problem. Everything worked fine when purchased, but now when it gets up to temp, it bogs, and then dies. After checking the spark, it seems to be much weaker after it dies, than when the engine is cold. This goes for all three cylinders. Any suggested troubleshoot ideas? I've heard possibly the CDI box, are there any OHM tests for the CDI that could be done? Also, it seems to idle a bit high, around 2800 RPM's. Thanks in advance, Scootd

1991 Indy 650 Triple
Carburated (clean)
~3600 miles
New spark plugs

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
similar to CDI problems ive had, runs till its warm then dies, let it sit a while and then fires up and runs till its warm again. vicious cycle. Replaced cdi and ran like a champ. Happened on my 94 XLTsp , 98 XC600, and 80 TX-L

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just got a second-hand CDI from an identical sled, and will see how it works. Will update after testing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I put in the CDI, and the same problem exists. I thought maybe it was the fix, as it seemed to idle lower when I first started it up, but it still died after about 2 minutes of riding. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

·
Registered
847 Posts
check that the choke cables are not kinked or improperly routed. check that they have not been adjusted too tight as to cause the enrichment plungers not to be seating fully at the carbs. Choke cables that do not have the correct free play will cause the plungers to hang up as the engine warms it will begin to bog and stall

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the cables and plungers, they seemed to be routed correctly, and all three were adjusted the same. They all moved freely and equally while moving the choke lever. I reinstalled them, the problem still exists. Is there something that I'm missing, or forgetting to do? Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
847 Posts
yes but are they adjusted correctly? there should be 1/8 slack in the three cables when the choke lever is down. if the cables dont have free play in them they will cause the plungers to remain open and flood out the engine. If you do not know the adjustment procedure download the manual from poo kid and read up on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts