Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 polaris indy 500 liquid cooled twin. This past year i have done alot of cool things to it. I have rebuilt the engine and bored it out .40 0ver. I have put new crank bearings,stator,fuel pump and fuel filter and oil pump into it. I also got a new clutch on it. I have a new 1 inch lug track on it with 96 carbide studs on it wich are 1 inch and 3/8 long. i have put new gas shocks on the front along with some new tairod ends to improve my stearing becouse it was kind of loose.i got the hole shot skid plate on it,I also painted all the tairods baby blue along with the grill kit. I also put a 1997 xcr tach and spedometer in it and that looks really sweet...at night it really lights up. I have the white cobra windshield on it too..once i figure out on how to put a picture of it on this u guys will see this beast. Any body got a nice indy 5oo like this...let me know..ride it like ya stole it and LET IS SNOW BABY

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Sounds like a sweet sled, Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i have had it up to around 90 before i bored it out...i still need to put about 300 miles on it before i can wack it open...i am hoping it will at least do 95mph or so....

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
They still dont work for me, email them to me at [email protected] and I will post them for you if you want..

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn i had so much fun on this sled since i have owned it..its my second sled i have ever owned...my first was a 1974 ski-doo tnt 440 f/c and i was like screw this i want to upgrade and i found my indy 500 for 900 bucks online with delivery..it needed a little work...like a trailing arm and rear shock and stuff no big deal i think i spent like 300 bucks to get it back up in running good...that was back in 2000...last year was when i started havin some serious problems with it...i guess the motor was tired in it from what my snowmobile mechanic said...wich i didnt listen..so my first ride on it the stator goes on it,no spark..it just died on me..i was pissed ..i was like out in the middle of knowwhere...good thing i was ridin with friends who had a truck. any ways then the crankbearings went in it..then the fuel pump...this was like everytime i got the sled back from the shop a new part would break. i was starting to get impatient..so my snowmobile mechanic took it for a rip and wanted to feel the thing starting to break down...guess he thought there was water in the gas instead of the fuel pump being a peace of shit...well when he took the sled out on the tracks to get it wide open..the oil injection failed and he blew the fucker up...He paid and rebuilt the motor for me for free...[:D] i was like hell yea...no more breakin down...so anyways i got my taxes back and put the new shocks and clutch and track and tairod ends on..mine as well rebuild the whole thing right? so now everything on it is brand new except the drive sprocket...hahaha

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
good story, free is always good, well almost![:D]
Well i checked my email and i realized that the pic wasnt full size in my aol mail window so i saw the whole pic! I like the baby blue accents![;)]

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Here it is, looks sharp...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn...winter is almost here...i cant wait...I got my sled polished and ready to ride. Let it snow. I cant wait to get on my dads 1990 polaris indy 650 and rip it wide open across the lake. This thing is nasty its got a tripple cylander two stroke and does like 100 mph +...The only thing is that its not a good trail sled becouse it dont want to stay on the ground...hahahaah

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I use to have a 91 500sp. Bored .040 over with wiseco's. It had a kick ass paint job and was a nice sled, but eventually sold it to upgrade to xtra-10

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am thinking about doing some more upgrades to this but i really dont know what else more i could do to it. If i got a set of twin pipes for it...my mechanic siad it would make the sled unreliable. So i dont want to do that Even though i could of bought a set of them for 250 bucks. I also wanted to get the turbo kit for it. A guy around here has an indy 500 just like mine but its an 89, but the thing has the turbo kit so i know it would roast my sled. Does anybody know where i could find this turbo kit?
Remember ride it like ya stole it....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The indy 500 sp actually inspired me to buy an indy 500...i saw one up in windsor where i live and i really liked the theme of the paint so i was like gotto get one..and sure enough i found one online for 900 bucks....

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sharp looking sled!

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Here is a indy 500 we use to have, nothing special but it was a nice sled..

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
thanx dgerlach .. It should work now..

1 - 20 of 89 Posts