Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with my old clutch, my jag would hit 75 in the fields, with the new clutch (primary), it tops out at 50. After 100 or so miles, she tops out at 40mph! I don't know what is going on here, It doesn't like to spin the track, barely moves. Doesn't like to climb hills as nearly as it used too, sounds like a truck in first gear. I don't think that the belt is going down far enough in the secondary. 5800 miles on sled. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
How high is the belt above the clutch (the one in the back), when it is stopped.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flush. I know that it is supposed to be a 1\16 inch. But I would think that that would make that big if difference. The whole thing is black. I am giving it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
It shouldn't make that much of a difference, but adjust it anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
sounds like the same problem im having with my 87 jag, no top end speed, let me know what cures it, ive tried everything i know and cant figure it out, im waiting on a factory arctic cat belt, "theres a dayco on it now that is listed as the right belt but just thinking it might make a diffrance, if i find anything i'll let you know. my next step is to tear both clutches apart and rebuild them totally but my sled only has 1000 miles on it? [:(]

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Guys heres a easy thing to try....take a black permanent marker and draw a few lines on your clutch facing from the center of the clutch to the outside of it in a couple different places....then take it out and ride it like you have been. When you come back you will be able to tell if your clutch is fully shifing by the marks left on the clutch or the lack there of. I'm just taking a wild guess here, but i would say that the new clutch either has the wrong weights or the wrong spring in it. It could also be binding or be setup for a wider belt than what you are using. Just a few thoughts....let me know how the marker test goes.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
What colour are the springs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
[:)]thats a good idea, i can mark it next i get some snow to ride, because i was wondering how in the heck im gonna see whats happening while im at full throttle at load condition, i even considered offing the hood and belt guard but i like this idea much better, my belt should rise to the top of both pully sheaves?, so if it dosent rise on the clutch suspect it?, or if it dosent rise on the secondary suspect it?,sooner or later im gonna figure out this problem, im trying to be a snowmobiler on a buget "if there is such a thing".

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I think the belt should rise in the primary clutch while descending in the secondary clutch as your speed increases. Just think of a ten speed bike you start out small in front and big in back for power and end up big in front and small in back for speed.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
As Triumph said to much weight in the primary or to much spring in the secondary It doesn't sound like you are getting any kind of shift out. Marking the clutchs is a good idea mark them both. So you can tell which of the problems it is or it could be both.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Here's a diagram to see how your clutches go together and what parts are OEM.

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SNOWMOBILE/

Red primary spring.
Blue secondary spring, 53 degree helix.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the mecanic is cleaning the secondary as we speak, I will have more info in a day or two. The sled revs right out so I didn't think that it is a weight problem, he mentioned the marker thing, he is going to do that I hope. Wow, Keep the replys comin! THANKS!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
im thinking secondary also, i can compress it by hand but it does seem a bit tight, i could take it off and clean it, but it aint really that dirty, if im gonna take it loose im probally better to put in new spring, buttons, helix, and just rebuild it totally at least i will know its good.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I got her back! Speedo doesn't work so I dont know how fast it goes. Seems to go better with the secondary cleaned out. But, the primary seems to engage too early. It feels like it is engaging at 2500 rpm. I want it to engage around 4000 - 4500. I did the marker thing and it seems to be running where it should. It will not spin the track from a stand still. Which I thought that every snowmobile did. The primary that I put on it is a new comet 102C (I think). I just put in the weights that came with it. Should I put in the weights from the original clutch?

- matt

·
Registered
167 Posts
your right that sled should engage at 3600 to 4000,says the A/C manual, so your way early at 2500, thats almost right off idle, if your belt is the right belt it almost sounds like your primary clutch weights or spring is too light, man this getting the clutch setup is a real P.I.A.[:(!]

·
Registered
11 Posts
If this is a new clutch you should have bought it calibrated for your sled. Make sure it has the correct stock clutch weights and spring for your sled. Once you get this correct check your belt height in the secondary(driven clutch)it should be level or just slightly above the top of the clutch - this height can be adjusted (and should be adjusted during belt wear)by taking apart the clutch and adding or removing washers. Artic cat has two different thicknesses of washers - If you need the part # let me know. The secondary clutch is easy to take apart once you have done it. Next for best performance make sure your sled rpm's are at their peak at WOT if you are under or over the peak rpm for this sled you will loose performance. I'm guessing this sled may be around 8000rpm but check for sure. to adjust the max rpm you can change the spring tension on the seconday clutch by moving the hole position - there should be 5 different positons each position is about 200rpm - tighten spring to increase WOT rpm loosen to decrease WOT rpm. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow. I hate working on clutches, especially when the sled doesnt have a tack :(. I am taking out the weights today, I don't have a garage and it is 20 degress and blowing snow outside. What can I do if I don't have a tach? Thanks

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Well to do the work do it in the house, and for the tach you should be able to get one fairly cheap.

·
Registered
167 Posts
im pretty sure i found the "low top speed" problem plauging my sled, and it was somthing that someone said hear that began to occur to me, that my belt was not going to the bottom of the secondary, i was under the asumtion that it was to ride high in the sheave, but after a bunch of playing with it i realize that the former owner of the sled must have washed the sled and let water set on the secondary shaft!, it had been rusty, on what arctic cat calls bearings, they look like a plain old steel bushing to me, so i got to cleaning it and i know your not suposed to grease anything but i wanted it to be lubed as to move easily, remember it was frozen rusty, when i did this it got easyier and easyier to move i think i may have my problem solved, wont know for sure till i get to ride, and were expecting some snow, i cant wait to see![:D]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts