Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to site any help will be great. Not sure if this is where I should be posting? 92 500 EFI sp Running unreal but not charging battery, can it possibly be stator? Or would it run like crap/not run with a bad stator? What exactly is ACS and how do I test? Ecu not throwing any codes but also not getting ready light on dash... been charging battery full going for rip and keeping spare battery fully charged to make it home ahahah. It’s running so good really wanna figure out why battery isn’t charging! Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ACS is alternator controlled switch and it was used on 93 and newer so you shouldn't have it. I had the same problem with mine and found it was the brown wire (chassis ground) terminal connection going to the regulator/rectifier (this is located underneath your battery box, it will have a grey, grey/wh, and red coming out of it, the brown connects to the mounting plate). The brown wire eyelet was holding on by two strands of wire. I cut and stripped the insulation back to good wire, put a new eyelet on and it was back to charging at 14.5V. Check your alternator output, the grey and grey/wh wires. I think it should be at least around 20VAC or somewhere around there when idleing. If you have good voltage going in and only 12 or so coming out, you more than likely have a bad rectifier. Let me know if you need a new rectifier, there is an aftermarket one that will work. Download the service manual on this site. Go to gallery>documents>pg 7>85 to 95 Polaris manual. Pg 4.35 is the start of the EFI section. Pg 4.23 will give you the test specs on your alternator. Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts