Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1992 Ski-Doo Mach I, 617CC, and immediately had engine problems while opening it up on the ice. After I realized there was only 30 PSI of compression on cylinder 2, I tore it apart and found the #2 piston to be burned up. The piston ring was broken into pieces, and it looks like it overheated.

I had the cylinder honed and replaced the piston and rings. The spark plugs are correct according to the manual. Each cylinder has about 120 PSI of compression. I replaced the oil filter and bled the line. The carb boots look fine and I adjusted the fuel mixture 2 turns out as the book states. I plan on synchronizing the carbs and adjusting the oil pump this evening.

My question is this: I have the engine running again (just at idle speeds) but how can I verify that each cylinder is getting the same amount (and enough) oil? Cylinder 1 looks like it smokes a little more than cylinder 2. I don't want this to happen again, and I haven't found anything conclusive that points to the original problem.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Should be able to pull the oil line for that cylinder off,
start the sled and check for oil flow out the line. Increase rpms
and oil output should increase. Wouldn't do this for a long period of time,
as you'll end up toasting it. If you have oil flow, next would be to
check the "oil nozzle" or "banjo fitting" for blockage.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Also test your crank seals for air leaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts