Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1992 Ski-Doo Mach I, 617CC, and immediately had engine problems while opening it up on the ice. After I realized there was only 30 PSI of compression on cylinder 2, I tore it apart and found the #2 piston to be burned up. The piston ring was broken into pieces, and it looks like it overheated.

I had the cylinder honed and replaced the piston and rings. The spark plugs are correct according to the manual. Each cylinder has about 120 PSI of compression. I replaced the oil filter and bled the line. The carb boots look fine and I adjusted the fuel mixture 2 turns out as the book states. I plan on synchronizing the carbs and adjusting the oil pump this evening.

My question is this: I have the engine running again (just at idle speeds) but how can I verify that each cylinder is getting the same amount (and enough) oil? Cylinder 1 looks like it smokes a little more than cylinder 2. I don't want this to happen again, and I haven't found anything conclusive that points to the original problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Locked. Please do not double post.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/113647/display.aspx

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.