Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is never a dull moment with this sled , out riding the other day and was running like a top ,stopped with the people I was riding with and told them I was heading home. Started machine and left but while accelerating the engine popped a few times and started to lose power and eventually stopped down a trail . It would start and barely rev up then quit I checked a few things out on the trail but had no success , starting to get dark so I walked out 6 kms not fun .Sled was later towed out. When home I checked and replaced in tank fuel line ,filled with fuel and tried again , seemed good for about 5 minutes and stopped again , towed home again.So today I changed fuel filters ,suction filter had no resistance when blowing through it but the pressure filter did , changed both with no difference , it will start and quit right away.Removed and checked fuel pump for any obstructions in the ports all ok.Fuel pressure at 36 psi ,Checked over wiring , cleaned up grounds, no fault lights on ECU .Removed injectors and checked screens , both were clean .I originally felt it was a fuel problem but I don't think so now. Removed spark plugs and noticed they were wet so it has to be injecting fuel , checked spark and appears to be weak , the CDI unit is aftermarket and fairly new so I put the old one back on which was still working at that time ,no difference , still a weak spark ,tried different boots and plugs which I closed the gap to .016' , still the same it will start but will quit in 2-3 seconds .The only thing I think that it may be a weak stator , will have a look tomorrow and measure the ohms on it first .Has anyone had this issue or have a different idea what it may be .Any input would be appreciated , thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it is never a dull moment with this sled , out riding the other day and was running like a top ,stopped with the people I was riding with and told them I was heading home. Started machine and left but while accelerating the engine popped a few times and started to lose power and eventually stopped down a trail . It would start and barely rev up then quit I checked a few things out on the trail but had no success , starting to get dark so I walked out 6 kms not fun .Sled was later towed out. When home I checked and replaced in tank fuel line ,filled with fuel and tried again , seemed good for about 5 minutes and stopped again , towed home again.So today I changed fuel filters ,suction filter had no resistance when blowing through it but the pressure filter did , changed both with no difference , it will start and quit right away.Removed and checked fuel pump for any obstructions in the ports all ok.Fuel pressure at 36 psi ,Checked over wiring , cleaned up grounds, no fault lights on ECU .Removed injectors and checked screens , both were clean .I originally felt it was a fuel problem but I don't think so now. Removed spark plugs and noticed they were wet so it has to be injecting fuel , checked spark and appears to be weak , the CDI unit is aftermarket and fairly new so I put the old one back on which was still working at that time ,no difference , still a weak spark ,tried different boots and plugs which I closed the gap to .016' , still the same it will start but will quit in 2-3 seconds .The only thing I think that it may be a weak stator , will have a look tomorrow and measure the ohms on it first .Has anyone had this issue or have a different idea what it may be .Any input would be appreciated , thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well viewers I was off track on this one , the stator was ok , I had 159 ohms and spec is 164 ohms ,pretty close so did not have to change it out .What I found out eventually after a few days was the on/off switch had an intermittent internal ground , basically it was grounding out the black signal wire from the CDI unit which in turn interupted the signal to the ECU ( no engine rpm ) and injection would stop . This signal wire is teed off to the ECU , kill switch and key switch .So if you experience what I had going on start by unplugging the key switch and/or the kill switch if that doesn't help check out the wiring for breaks or ground,check wiring at steering column and plugs down by the pull start. This would also keep the engine from starting if this small wire had a break or a ground , took awhile to find as the ground in the switch had very low ohms of resistance but was enough to disrupt the signal , drove me nuts and took alot of time to find .Hope this helps someone with a similar problem and just a note that this an EFI machine and use your multimeter, runs great now !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts