Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 1994 650 Indy as a first sled. I'm not looking for anything special. Just looking at a trail rider with my son. The sled belongs to an in-law that bought it, but never really had time to ride it. It has a whopping 526km on the odometer.

He did have a reverse option installed on it. I believe he may have done some other suspension work to it, but I can't confirm.

Seems to be in good shape, but can't really take it out and try it until we get snow.

Any thoughts on it?

Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Odometer Motor vehicle

Vehicle Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Plant Motor vehicle

Neil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks modified and quite a bit. If it's sat forever then the engine would be suspect. Those triples can cost big bucks if things need fixin'.
Thanks for the reply Steve! The father in-law has the sled now and has run it a few times over the last 3 years. I started it up the other day. It does run.

I'm told that the owner had put updates on it, but I only info I got was "he upgraded the tracks and suspension".

The father in-law had it up to 50mph last year. Said it could go faster, but he got scared.

I did notice that there are some hoses that will need to be replaced since they've cracked and become brittle. Fingers crossed it's only minor issues that need to be addressed.

Neil

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Good sled, pretty reliable machine. And it'll do a lot more than 50mph lol. In good running condition expect to see around 100 mph on lake. Keep in mind the worst thing for a sled is long term improper storage. It would be a great idea to have someone who knows sleds give it a once over/tune up. Clean carbs (starting and appearing to idle fine does not mean it wont lean out and blow the engine while running), clean out tank because of excessive sitting and only run fresh ethanol free gas, replace drive belt and any brittle and cracked hoses as you said, grease the suspension/chassis, service clutches, drain and replace chain case oil. Really just normal service stuff but it will likely save time and money doing everything pre-season. Good luck and hope you have a blast on it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Luke. I agree on having it looked over and services of it's deemed to be ok.

Also going to ask the in-laws if they still have the 90s Polaris garb (jackets etc) since I think it would be hilarious to show up all decked out as 90s sled guy...

Neil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts