Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
might of found a new back up sled hes got to talk it over with the wife has 6000 miles on it a fresh rebuild needs some odds and ends hes gonna do a compression check later today prolly when we go there to possably pick it up anyone know whats the hp on one of these? its the twin with reeds would it be faster that my xlt???

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snowdad4 said:
hp around 95. good sleds, sleek and fast. the 94's did have some issues with the primary clutch. look into that.
what went wrong with it? i might get it today so if its something that could be expensive let me know asap

·
Registered
480 Posts
My dad had a 1995 Yamaha vmax 500. He bought it brand new and he loved it. The first year he had it, he took it to some radar runs and he won in the 500 and 600 class.

It was a great sled until about 2003 when he sold it to a buddy and his son hit a tree doing about 50mph.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The reputation is the crank shaft vibration wears out clutches faster than normal. I have had several without problems. Maybe just an occasional clutch rebuild.

Now the rear suspension... That just plain stinks! It feels like 3 inches of travel. Great for a back-up sled or a beginner, just not for a regular daily rider.

I would prefer an Indy XLT for suspension and acceleration (but I'm a triple guy.)

6000 miles with a fresh top end? That would sell for $800-1000 in West Michigan if it was very clean.

·
Registered
232 Posts
sounds like an ok back up sled other than the fact that they were heavy

·
Registered
368 Posts
95-xlt-600-special said:
snowdad4 said:
hp around 95. good sleds, sleek and fast. the 94's did have some issues with the primary clutch. look into that.
what went wrong with it? i might get it today so if its something that could be expensive let me know asap
94's were prone to breaking spiders. the clutches were updated in 95. and they are harder on the clutch wear parts due in part to the harmonics of the motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts