Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
A few choices, a cheap way would be to find a pro-action out of a newer yammy. Or this is what someone on here found...
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/gallery/file.asp?id=8054&user=9501

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't know for sure about the 5-600 vmaxs, But many people are stuffing a proaction under vmax4's ....Better then stock for sure, But maybe midle of the road when it comes to suspensions. The proaction is about an inch less in width and you need to make spacers (1/2 inch of either side) and brace from the rear to center mount...Been told if you don't brace they have a tendency of splitting tunnels. I can get the measurements if you are interested, or go to vmax4.com and look at tech page....It all in their. I picked up a 144" proaction at a swap meet with 500 miles on it for $100. Thought that was pretty cheap for a much better ride. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put a proaction suspension in my 92 VMAX4 The suspension came from a 96 XT and is a bolt in. You will just have to redrill the tunnel to mount. Its a good idea to rivet in some steel wher you put the holes. When looking at the skid the front mounting brackets on the slide rails tend to break. I made some from welding up 1/4 inch stainless steel plate but my machine is heavy. The replacement braket are cheap if they are broken. Best of luck

·
Registered
528 Posts
It would probably be cheaper to buy a new sled than put in an aftermarket suspension.

The Proaction is a good option, or just about any longer travel suspension can be made to work in there. The Ski Doo SC-10 is also a good option.

Something else to consider is giving your current suspension an overhaul. The suspensions bind up over time and not work properly. Pull the suspension, take it apart and check for bent, cracked, and badly worn parts. Fix or replace the really bad stuff and any worn out bushings. Grease all the cross shafts and bearing points with good low temp grease and put it back together, you will probably be pleasantly surprised. Not too mention it's primarily a labour investment and not much cash.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by Canuck

Something else to consider is giving your current suspension an overhaul. The suspensions bind up over time and not work properly. Pull the suspension, take it apart and check for bent, cracked, and badly worn parts. Fix or replace the really bad stuff and any worn out bushings. Grease all the cross shafts and bearing points with good low temp grease and put it back together, you will probably be pleasantly surprised. Not too mention it's primarily a labour investment and not much cash.
Yes allot of times that will work,,i've done it many times
with great results..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts