Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked a 1995 indy 500EFI last year with a pretty beat up track and skid. I recently scored an xtra 10 off of a 1996 XCR 600. I was just looking to see if anyone has done this upgrade and would have the measurements on hand to I can get this properly installed. (I don't have the donor sled). Also, I'm planning on buying a new track and I'd like to get something a bit more aggressive, while I have this all apart I might as well upgrade. What's the biggest lug I can go on this without having any interference with tunnel/rear heat exchanger.

So if someone could fill me in with that info it would help alot, I'd like to get this all squared away well before any snow flies and while working outside is still tolerable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
measurements:
http://jbshocks.com/x10mount.jpg

walk-through:
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/article/XTRA_10_Swap_step_by_step/display.aspx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the old skid and track out. Just waiting for the new skid to show up, however last year I noticed that the front tunnel heat exchanger was leaking. I have it bypassed for now. I'm currently grinding off all the rivets to the exchanger while I have the track out to see if there is a way to replace it with a new one or fab up a slimmer one so I can run a more agressive track. Anyone ever replaced one of these with something else? not the factory one. $135 for a new one! :-(

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
if you know a good welder they can be repaired, make sure to test it prior to installing in sled. you can also find them used quite often. i needed one a while back and ended up finding a stripped down chassis with the heat exchangers still in it. bought the chassis for 25 bucks, and then sold the other exchangers i didnt need. made money out of it!!!
i really dont think bypassing it would be a good idea as that exchanger contacts probally the most snow.
Anyone ever remove that one and install the one at the rear of the tunnel??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about adding one in the rear to, I got this one out and it's full of holes, the p.o. ran it with a very sloppy track and oversized studs and it ate right through it. There is actually 5 holes in it but only one was leaking. I don't think this one can be saved, but I will deff look into it. I'm pretty curious about the rear heat exchanger as well. I only have it bypassed for now just to make sure she runs and what not while I'm fixing other some issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ended up getting a new one, new xtra 10 in is and jbshocks measurements were perfect. Just wainting on the track and snow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BriC27 said:
ended up getting a new one, new xtra 10 in is and jbshocks measurements were perfect. Just wainting on the track and snow.
check that, the suspension is binding, sled is a 1995 indy 500 efi and the skid is out of a 97 xcr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts