Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short: I have been through this thing 2x times. It has 119 compression, has spark (that I can see on both plugs) and has fuel but wont turn over or even sputter.

Some clues. First time through it, it got cleaned carbs, new pickup and fuel cap then started/ran like a top in the driveway. Was a little hard to start at the trailhead +1800 ft and -20deg from home so chalked it up to that. once warm it re-started fine. Boy followed me on it and I "think" ran it with choke on during 2+ miles to and from cabin. He complained about bad surging at mid throttle Low and top were ok. After this 4+ mile round trip, it would never start again.

Brought it home...grumbled a bit. ;-)

I went though the fuel system again. All good, needles, floats, float settings, needle jets, main, bla, bla, all sorted. Replaced all fuel lines. Reinstalled, set slide height and choke settings and connected my sync guage. Checked spark in garage and can see spark on both plugs. Turned on Fuel, choke, yanked the cable and watched fuel flow to the carbs..nothing. more yanking....nothing. See moisture in the carb body before the slide so know it is getting fuel. Try a puff of starting fluid in each carb to be sure....yank...yank...nothing!
Pull the plugs and they are wet with fuel. Dry them off, try again. Same.

Pull the carbs, check needles and float settings and this time do a pressure test. All good. Reassemble and this time leave fuel off. Check for spark...all good.
Use starting fluid with gas off to test leaking fuel supply. Wont start or even sputter.
Turn on fuel...watch it supply to carbs, yank...yank...nothing.
Hang head low and get some food....

Any ideas on where/what to check next?

Could a failed stator cause this?
or crank-case full of fuel?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I couldn't get it out of my head that the crank is full of fuel. Removed the pulse line and cranked. It spits fuel out.
Did this for about 20 pulls until just mist comes out of the pulse bung.

will check in tomorrow

·
Registered
62 Posts
To drain crankcase, remove the two 10 mm drain bolts located on crankcase below each exhaust. If you are having fuel in your impulse line that is usually a sign that your fuel pump diaphragm has a pinhole in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts