Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I bought a 1995 polaris xlt touring. It has 188 miles on it. I got it running just great but the clutch will not close and engage the belt. I started working the clutch and was able to get it moving freely. It is now vibrating badly when it is engaging the belt. It looks like it is going left to right quickly back and forth causing a vibration at any speed.

1. What should a guy do about this?

2. How does the clutch come off?

3. it looked like part of the bushing came off while i was working the clutch back and forth. Could this be the issue.


Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
DO NOT START THAT ENGINE WITH THAT CLUTCH ON IT! ok, is the entire clutch assembly loose? with the engine off, the clutch shouldnt move at all, except of course it should spin and rotate the engine! but the clutch should not be loose on the end of the crankshaft! there is 1 long bolt in the center of the clutch that holds it onto the crankshaft! and what is this bushing that you speak of,? take some pics!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
doent run it first off and secondly pull the clutch, and take it to someone who has the tools to pull the clutch down and rebuild it. (it pretty cheap) before you end up with serious issues
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
danoxcr600 said:
DO NOT START THAT ENGINE WITH THAT CLUTCH ON IT! OK, is the entire clutch assembly loose? with the engine off, the clutch shouldnt move at all, except of course it should spin and rotate the engine! but the clutch should not be loose on the end of the crankshaft! there is 1 long bolt in the center of the clutch that holds it onto the crankshaft! and what is this bushing that you speak of,? take some pics!!
The Clutch is very tight on crankshaft. It is not loose at all. When i was working the clutch towards the engine to get it to grip the belt i noticed there was some fibrous material on the shaft the clutch slides towards the engine on. i guess that is the bushing i am talking about. I don't know the name of the parts. But i assure you everything is very tight. At idle there is no vibration. but when you hit it and the clutch engages it wants to bounce back and forth causing the vibration i am talking about. Hope this explains it better.

Thanks



02zr440sp said:
doent run it first off and secondly pull the clutch, and take it to someone who has the tools to pull the clutch down and rebuild it. (it pretty cheap) before you end up with serious issues
How do i pull it? Is there some special tool that i need to get it off.

Thanks

How cheap is pretty cheap when it comes to rebuilding this clutch.

Thanks
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
yeah there is a special tool to pull the clutch, which you can get at any good sled repair shop, and its around 125 to 150 and thats a total rebuild.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
02zr440sp said:
yeah there is a special tool to pull the clutch, which you can get at any good sled repair shop, and its around 125 to 150 and thats a total rebuild.
Good deal. May just take the whole sled in to have it done.

Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
sounds like bushing is shot. would not run it until you figure it out. should be smooth in and out....


Ive seen some really worn belts with thin areas make clutches go crazy also.....


make sure there is no old belt material stuck the the inside faces or center spindle of your primary clutch......those should be smooth ......
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
snowolf said:
sounds like bushing is shot. would not run it until you figure it out. should be smooth in and out....


Ive seen some really worn belts with thin areas make clutches go crazy also.....


make sure there is no old belt material stuck the the inside faces or center spindle of your primary clutch......those should be smooth ......
There is one spot about three inches in length that is thin on the belt. Would it be bad for motor to put different belt on it and try for 5 minutes to see if that fixes it. The clutch moves in and out nicely like my moher sled with out the belt on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
That's what i would try if it was me, could just need a simple belt change especially if its the one from the factory and with 188 miles, i'm assuming it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
would a bent crank cause that? Only a 188 miles? maybe thats why it was sold.. Did u beat on the clutch with anything to free it up? Take the belt off and try it, but if it vibrates hurry up and shut it off, and replace that clutch. The other thing that just crossed my mind is maybe a bad crack baring. Just my thoughts, hope it
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
snowmobilexcr said:
would a bent crank cause that? Only a 188 miles? maybe thats why it was sold.. Did u beat on the clutch with anything to free it up? Take the belt off and try it, but if it vibrates hurry up and shut it off, and replace that clutch. The other thing that just crossed my mind is maybe a bad crack baring. Just my thoughts, hope it
No the crank is not bent. at idle it is smooth as ever. It only shutters/vibrates with that belt on it.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top