Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and have been searching for some help with rebuilding my recently purchased 1995 XLT special. The sled has not blown up yet however compression is below 100 on all of the cylinders. I have been trying to find information on it for a while and have been getting very different answers each time. I am looking to do a full rebuild but am not sure what that completely entails since the most I have done to a snowmobile was replace the pistons and clean a clogged oil injector. Any help is appreciated. I am also looking to find the manual so I can go through it as well. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
707 Posts
There should be a manual in ugly_old_poo_kid's gallery as far as the low compression you should mainly just need rings and or pistons

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine also has almost 6,000 miles on it and that was around when my fathers blew up on him. He had a shop work on it for him however I currently do not have the cash to have a shop do it. He told me they replaced the bearing and that there was a hole that had to be drilled out to allow for more oil or fuel (??) and that was all he could remember. I was wondering what else should be done. When I drove it on and off my trailer it sounded very bogged down however I took apart the carbs and they look spotless. I will post some picture of the engine (currently out of the sled) and the carbs later tonight after I have some time to take it apart some more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So last night I got down to the pistons and checked them out. they just have a little build up on the tops. I checked the sides of them and they felt completely smooth the same goes with the jugs. Any advice for when I go to take out the bearings? I am a little nervous about doing it and just want to make sure I don't mess anything up when I take it apart. I have been separating all the pieces and labeling them as I go to prevent mixing and matching pieces. any other suggestions that would make it easier?

·
Registered
840 Posts
If this is a stock form .. you dont have to drill out anything. What you need to do first is to get the cylinder inspected to make sure its within spec to use standard size pistons. If its within spec .. get the cylinders honed and install new pistons/rings and break her in at least one tankful gas with oil mixed with it. This will allow you to minimizing your spending without anything major work done to it. WL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do want to save money but I can manage a full rebuild as long as I do a majority of the work myself. Since I know I'll be able to afford the parts I just want to go through the whole process. Not only so I can hopefully get trough more miles without having issues but also so I can better understand how my machine works.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know everyone says these sleds blow up the PTO bearing, but there are good ones . I am currently rebuilding the motor on my 95 XLT SP which I put 14K miles on before the Mag Rod grenaded the case.
I had the crank fixed and trued. That being said we are not racers we are trail cruisers and only WOT across the lakes. Everyone loves this sled so much they insisted I fix the motor. So I guess IMO if the bottom end is fine leave it be unless you ride real hard. Sled is not worth a lot of $s and u can probably fresh up the top end for $300-$400 if you do the wrenching. Yhere are a lot of great threads here on doing the top end. My family has me looking for another one to buy, I think I can get a decent one for <$1000. Oh yeah one of the things everyone loves is the high windsheid and the heat exchangers under the running boards keeping their feet toasty. Hope you get her fixed and rippin soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tend to ride it like its stolen. Also there are a lot of wide straight trails where I will be doing most of my riding. They usually have two groomers on a lot of the trails and they can pass each other without either of them having to pull off to the side much. So I figured while I'm wrenching it apart I might as well do the bottom. I still have not opened up the bottom end because I am trying to find a shop manual first since I've never done a rebuild of the bottom of a sled engine. If anyone has any videos or shop manuals could you please post them on here or a link to them. Thank you guys for the advice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dude is foul mouthed and sounds near death but, Not a bad video

You may want to check this as well for the Top End

Reactions: dillymann

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you I have watched the first one and the guy did seem like he knew what he was doing I again just wanted someone else's opinion on it or if someone had a better video that was posted on the forum. Thank you all for your help. I'll probably be on later with updates on the progress and some more quick questions.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you look on this form there is a shop manual for your sled. Make sure that you use oem parts and oil. My 1996 ultra I had for 8 years finally died this past year with 12,800 miles on it. I did a rebuild around 4,500 miles and made sure that the motor was fogged every year and only used Polaris blue oil. The pro piston ring broke in the exhaust port. This caused a major damage. I could have got a new motor for $700 but I found another Ultra for $650 that was in good shape. So hope that you make sure that you reed how to break in a motor. Make sure you don't add a lot of extra oil to your fuel. Also make sure that you use assembly grease when putting the motor back together. One last thing is make sure you purge your oil lines and read your plugs about 15 mins of running you motor. If you have any questions please pm me I will help you out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the side by side world too. I would like a to find a diesel one as well. The problem that I am finding is that nobody makes one that will keep up with the gas ones. I have been looking at the Intimidator web site, and I think one of these and a turbo retrofitted on would make a snappy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts