Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang... thanks for the help upfront. My nephew has a 95 vmax 600 which promptly broke the chaincase chain. I have all the needed parts re-installed, but the chain tensioner, which is spring loaded obviously needs to be adjusted. With it being spring loaded how do I adjust this? It seems as though you wouldn't want the standard 1/4 inch slack... do you just tighten it till your using a good amount of the soring tension? I rather not do this again if I can help it!

·
Registered
368 Posts
run the adjuster bolt in finger tight, then add 1/4 turn. set the locknut and your done. i prefer to run atf in the chain case.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snowdad4 said:
run the adjuster bolt in finger tight, then add 1/4 turn. set the locknut and your done. i prefer to run atf in the chain case.
Now thats the rule of thumb I follow on my Viper and Ski-doo.... but with the spring loaded tensioner... if I ate my wheaties that morning I could adjust it all the way in, effectively eliminating the spring. Other thoughts?

·
Registered
368 Posts
on that particular chaincase, with the spring assisted tensioner, if you can finger tighten it enough to bypass the spring tension, i would be comparing lengths of chains to gear ratios, or comparing parts from before the breakage of the chaincase to the replacement parts your installing. finger tight, on the proper chain length, will not override spring tension. but a chain with too many links, or an improper gear selection for the chain would create excess slack. my procedure posted earlier is correct, as per sevice manual from a 95 vmax, i have owned 94, 95 and 96 versions of this sled, have three extra chain cases and a bucket full of gears and chains,if you need correction parts. look elsewhere in the chaincase for problems, with or without wheaties.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you... I got it back assembled and realized the errors in my logic! I appreciate it. One last question you may or may not know... I was looking at the microfiche... and there are two wide collars on either side of the top sprocket... the first collar behind the sprocket/gear (accompanied with a thinner "washer") makes good sense... it is snug in diameter on the jackshaft... the microfiche shows the exact same collar in front of the sprocket to sandwich between the top gear and outside cover bearing, the shaft at this location is a smaller diameter, and that collar although appearing the right thickness, is too large a diameter and would in theory slop around on there, and without it the top gear would of course slide forward of the splines.

Have you seen this? Strange engineering in my opinion... but I trust the microfiche... hmmmmm. Thanks so much, I always wanted one of these sleds, and would like to have it nice and reliable again.

·
Registered
368 Posts
check the secondary shaft. those were a 2 piece design in 94 and part of 95, changing to a 1 piece design late 95-96. could be the shaft has moved at the mount or came undone, not allowing it to come all the way through the chaincase. if the brake hub and rotor wont go on all the way, the shaft hs moved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help, I think I got it, I was able to get a straight edge across the gears and they have minimal but enough play. I think I off to find some synth trans oil, and give it a spin on the stand! [8D]

·
Registered
2 Posts
on that particular chaincase, with the spring assisted tensioner, if you can finger tighten it enough to bypass the spring tension, i would be comparing lengths of chains to gear ratios, or comparing parts from before the breakage of the chaincase to the replacement parts your installing. finger tight, on the proper chain length, will not override spring tension. but a chain with too many links, or an improper gear selection for the chain would create excess slack. my procedure posted earlier is correct, as per sevice manual from a 95 vmax, i have owned 94, 95 and 96 versions of this sled, have three extra chain cases and a bucket full of gears and chains,if you need correction parts. look elsewhere in the chaincase for problems, with or without wheaties.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My man has a 95 Yamaha vmax 600 and the chain broke and now he is having problems finding a chain to fit his cause his is a 74 pitch and with 21 t on top gear and 37t on the bottom and the gears are three quarters inch thick and all the chains he finds are 72 pitch plz help lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts