Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I broke my crank this weekend outside the motor where the clutch bolts on, snapped right off. I bought a used motor with 5000 miles from a 94 700 carb wildcat. What I was wondering is because mine is efi do I have to change anything with the motor (stator, rpm sensor...) to get this to work or can I just bolt on my throttle bodies and plug and play? I have the repair manual but it doesnt show if there are differences in th

·
Registered
538 Posts
yes, just use the stator, rpm sensor and all that stuff in order to run the efi.

now, you say the crank snapped at the clutch. funny thing that happened because i have seen 2 other 700 motors do the same thing. one was in a 94 ZR700 (which was rebuilt and is now in my sled) and the other in my 00 ZR700, in that case, a weight broke off the clutch and the guy kept trying to drive it and the unbalanced clutch broke the shaft. I've never heard of the crank snapping like that on anyone else so im a little surprised.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I know we were only going 30 ish not even beating on it, the only thing we could think of was last year i had a new clutch put on and they used heat, sledges, and pry bars to get the old clutch off so they may have cracked it or took the temper out of the shaft. nice clean break though and the clutch just fell to the belly pan and didnt take anything else out luckaly

·
Registered
538 Posts
mmeadie said:
Yea I know we were only going 30 ish not even beating on it, the only thing we could think of was last year i had a new clutch put on and they used heat, sledges, and pry bars to get the old clutch off so they may have cracked it or took the temper out of the shaft. nice clean break though and the clutch just fell to the belly pan and didnt take anything else out luckaly
yeah, it couldve been worse. when the shaft broke on my sled it took out the clutch guard and the secondary clutch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I lucked out with not taking out the secondary and then we stopped at a small arctic cat shop in the up to check out the reverse on one of the sleds and got to talking about mine, the guy had the motor and charged me $450 for the whole motor ( recoil to clutch with 5000 miles on the motor) not a bad deal I think

·
Registered
538 Posts
wow, $450 for the motor with a clutch and recoil? thats pretty damn good seeing as a crank alone could run much more than that. the only thing about having 5k miles on it is that they say to put pistons and rings in every 5k. i do that as a preventative measure so a fatigued piston doesnt break a skirt off and turn the motor into a grenade.

but ive seen guys run em up to 8k miles before it really needed a top end so you should be able to get a few seasons out of that motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts