Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1995 xcr with the triple in it i recently cleaned the carbs (to the best of my knowledge) because it wasnt started for 2 years. I got them back in and got it to start and it idles at 2k rpm and will idle forever but when i go to give it gas it dies. If i put it on half choke it will rev fine but wont idle. If i mess with the air screw i can get it to rev to about half throttle if i slowly give it gas. Please help thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm assuming this has the Mikuni slide type carbs on it. It sounds like you're not getting enough gas to the mid/full throttle. Sounds like the main jet is being restricted. By "choking it" on the Mikuni's, you're really only dumping more fuel which would explain why it runs better at half choke. If you just cleaned them, I'm guessing that not all 3 mains are plugged. Maybe the needles are dropped down the mains and restricting them. Make sure you put the slides back together right with the needles attached correctly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I took all the main jet out of all of them and the middle cylinder one was plugged and i poked it with a needle them soaked it and sprayed it out other than that i just sprayed all the little holes out in the carb and took the floats off. Inside the slides what notch is that little clip supposed to be on? Could that be a problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also the throttle seems to be super touchy i tried the drill bit trick to sync the carbs and i put them at .25 but where does the idle screw that raises the slide come in play? Are you supoosed to have that all the way out while you sync them? I dont know if i understood how to do it correctly

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check your spark plugs, I'm thinking it may just be one cylinder giving you a problem. Look for one that is lighter in color than the others. This should be your problem cylinder. The float could be stuck closed starving the cylinder of fuel. Also, if you crack the throttle wide open, does it wind out or die like you say it does at half throttle? If you're only having a mid range problem maybe one of the needles is set to low. Did you remove the needles and if you did, did you put the clip back on the same spot?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the plugs and looked at them and they were all shiny yet no color if i remember right though two of them had a little bit of dark liquid on them. If i have the choke off and open the throttle all the way open it dies instantly, half choke it will open all the way up. I did take the needle out, it sits in the slide correct? I believe i put them on the same notch as before. I didnt mess with them except i clip fell off so i put it on the one i thought it was on. Would being 1 notch off on 1 effect it that much?

·
Registered
28 Posts
No, being one notch off wouldn't affect it that much. The two plugs with dark liquid are what I would expect to see after running it on half choke, the dry/clean plug is the cylinder giving you the problem. Pull that carb off and check for a sticky float or something obstructing fuel flow. Also look for a pinched or kinked fuel line going to that carb.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks alot ill take a look at that saturday i know i had a tough time getting those fuel lines routed back over to the carbs ao maybe i pinched one off. Ill let you know how it goes, i really hope i can get it running

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ran out and looked at the plugs again, the pto side plug where to floats were originally stuck had the dark liquid, the middle cylinder where the main jet used to be plugged also had the dark liquid, the recoil side cylinder where i put a new carb boot on was dry but had a little bit of a golden color to the plug

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was just thinking that you could also have a vacuum leak if you just replaced the carb boot and it's not sealed somewhere so it may be sucking air. Just make sure it has a good seal

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ripped the boot when i was trying to get the carb off after trying it and it not running, i was hoping it had a crack in it and that was my problem but i guess not. I know i had a heck of a time getting the carb on the boot when it was mounted to the engine so ill have to double check its actually on there correctly. I tried spraying starting fluid on all the boots and nothing happened, idk if that trick actually works or not

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, you would have noticed something if there was a leak and you'd have to have a gaping hole in order for it to act like it's acting. I still think that something is slowing the fuel flow to that cylinder and it is bogging when you rev it because it is essentially running on 2 cylinders

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So i bought a can of berrymans and took my time to take the carbs apart and clean them and it did the trick it runs like a top now! I dont know if its a problem or not but when the track starts spinning (in the air because theres no snow) it starts jumping a bit. Does that happen when its in the air? Also how tight is the track supposed to be it seems kind of loose but i dont know how to check if its right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts