Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is interested in buying a 95xcr600. I am curious how dependable these sleds are. I know l was looking into one a couple of years ago after my sled got stolen and I called the local polaris dealer to get an opinion on the sled. The mechanic told me he was suprised the sled still worked. the sled had about 4500 miles on it. He said the sleds don't have very good cranks in them. Any of your input would be appreciated. The sled is bone stock with just over 3000 miles. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hey srxman the 600 XCR is as dependable as any XLT. It all depends on the origional owner. It the origional owner took good care of the sled it will still be a good sled. If it looks beat it more then likely is beat. Riley

good day

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
In my modest opinion, I like the twins myself, just a few years newer and he will have a 600 twin rather than a triple. They just seem to be a little more reliable, better fuel economy and just as much zip.
However this is my opinion, guys like XLT and Triumph will disagree with me I am sure.

Live to ride, ride to live.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what i'm gathering is these sleds can't take a beating and aren't very reliable. Is that about right?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well I've always heard decent things about them. When your buying a used sled, you always take a chance. But like someone else here stated....if it looks like its been beat, then it probably has been beat. If it looks like its been taken care of, and the owner can provide slips of any or all work done to the sled, that shows me the person cared for it to some degree.

I don't have any first hand knowledge about the XCR 600, but I know a lot of guys around here do with the XCR 440. A friend of mine has one (96 I think), and loves it. Hasn't had any trouble with his.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
no, you can beat the crap out of them in the rough. they just dont have the suspension of a new sled, so you might take a little beating yourself. they were one of the fast sleds in 95. with some pipes and a little clutch work you could run next to any 600 twin of today. just make sure to keep checking to see if any bolts come lose on the suspension than lock tite them in place.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yeah, i used to own a '96 XCR 600 and it was a great sled to drive. 120 mph of adrenaline. The sound of a tripple SCREAMING across the lake is wonderful. At about 4000+ miles, i had the engine rebuilt. Just pistons and rings, and it ran great. About 1 week later the crank twisted. I replaced the crank and sold it. Now i own a 440...

So i guess it was very reliable with no problems......that is,...until after the rebuild. Then it twisted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds about right. My conclusion is the sleds have bad cranks. i'll tell my friend not to wast his money on the sled. It would be horrable if we got all the way to the UP and his crank went out.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I would say that if the sled has the external oil line running to the pto crank bearing then the sled is very dependable...some of the early triples had problems with not enough oil reaching that bearing so in later years polaris added the external oil line. I have heard of xlt's going 10,000+ miles without a rebuild, if thats not dependable i dont know what is? IMO if the sled has that oil line i referred to i would consider it a "dependable" sled sight unseen of course. If it doesnt, i would personally stay away from it.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yeah. '95-96 are the same. Things changed in '97.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts