Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 580 EFI Mountain Cat that is giving me problems this year. I replaced the battery last week and the machine runs for about 5 minutes (max) and revs up them dies. I try to start it again and it just clicks real fast. It appears the battery is being drawn down somehow. I charge up the new battery and it runs good for 3-4 minutes - revs up - and dies. These don't have alternators do they? Any ideas?

·
Registered
482 Posts
yeah it should have a charging system that takes over when you start the machine. Stator and rotor is what you are talking about. Check brownsleisureworld.com to see what youve got there, and possibly what wires to check out.

·
Registered
764 Posts
maybe pop your fuses open, there is a 15amp fuse for the battery charging system, maybe that fuse is shot and it isnt charging the battery, or u could have a short somewhere thats draining battery power on u

·
Registered
22 Posts
It sounds like you have a wire on the wrong post. It shouldn't be a fuse. If the fuse is out it won't run at all. When you turn on the key a red light should come on in your tach. Once it's running the red light should go off. If it stays on your charging system is not working. If the battery goes dead that quick you probabaly have a wire mix-up or a short somewhere.

·
Registered
764 Posts
mine will run without the charging system fuse in..... i blew the fuel pump fuse once and didnt have a spare fuse so swapped the charging system one in and was able to ride back to the farm with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts