Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 1996 arctic cat zrt 600. what is your opinion of them? thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
What do you want to know? I know "some" [lol8]

What kind of riding do you want to do and do you like working on things? Do you like to go fast?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mostly trail riding, i do like to work on things but not if it costs me a lot of money, and yes i like to go fast.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well ZRTs are pretty fast triples. my dad has a 2000 ZRT 600 triple they are fast, and the suspensions in them aren't that bad if you aren't doing really aggressive riding. They take awhile to get use to though, my dad's engages at about 4,500 Rpms and i'm use to mine engaging around 3200-3500, so when i rode his it felt weird. But Overall a ZRT is a quick sled, and the 96 has a nice body style that many people love.

P.S= they just dont like Railroads lol J/k Matt!! :) how ya feelin bud?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My opinion of Arctic Cat's ZRT 600 is (LOVE IT). I am the proud owner of a 1998 zrt 600 a couple things you need to know are= they love to break motor mounts espically front left and rear left. Extremely finniky abut water in the gas and proper jetting, don't ever ever ever understud unless you want to lose, as they have a tendancy to peel out excessively. I run a lightweight camoplast energy track with 192 woddys stainless studs best part about it is it weighs as much as a non studded ripsaw track,(yes with all those studs on it). I don't suggest jumping it, keep an eye on the antifreeze level as higher mileage sleds tend to have a leaky water pump seal, and last but not least it is extremely important that you heep an eye on the rubber flanges that go from the front of the carburateor to the motor, if they have any craks in the rubber plan on replacing but only buy genuine arctic cat parts $73.00 a piece, not the cheap ones for $25.00 they will last one season and when they give out you will be spending a lot more money than $73.00 a piece, more like complete rebuild from a lean out situation. Thats abot it for the cons now for the pros= Fastest stock 600 to this day, my zrt with a stock motor and simple gearing will keep up with and beat almost any 800 twin. Awesome sound, I pulled up to the gas station the other day and you would think a ufo just landed from the looks i got and get every time i go anywhere from the sweet sound of that nasty lil 600 triple. For a 600 BABY TRIPLE it is a torque monster. Handling is a little on the heavy side but don't worry its not as heavy as a early 90's t-cat. ZRT's are best suited for long straight trails, they love the lake, and to race, they put that checkered flag on there for a reason. Overall I don't recommend this sled to you if you are a inexpierenced rider or want to ride trails all day as this is is a stupid fast machine that was made to scream but scream in a straight line. Myself ill never ride anything else if I have a choice in it, Arctic Cat ZRT 600 the most radical smallblock triple you can get. ARCTIC CAT FTW!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
xcrkiller said:
My opinion of Arctic Cat's ZRT 600 is (LOVE IT). I am the proud owner of a 1998 zrt 600 a couple things you need to know are= they love to break motor mounts espically front left and rear left. Extremely finniky abut water in the gas and proper jetting, don't ever ever ever understud unless you want to lose, as they have a tendancy to peel out excessively. I run a lightweight camoplast energy track with 192 woddys stainless studs best part about it is it weighs as much as a non studded ripsaw track,(yes with all those studs on it). I don't suggest jumping it, keep an eye on the antifreeze level as higher mileage sleds tend to have a leaky water pump seal, and last but not least it is extremely important that you heep an eye on the rubber flanges that go from the front of the carburateor to the motor, if they have any craks in the rubber plan on replacing but only buy genuine arctic cat parts $73.00 a piece, not the cheap ones for $25.00 they will last one season and when they give out you will be spending a lot more money than $73.00 a piece, more like complete rebuild from a lean out situation. Thats abot it for the cons now for the pros= Fastest stock 600 to this day, my zrt with a stock motor and simple gearing will keep up with and beat almost any 800 twin. Awesome sound, I pulled up to the gas station the other day and you would think a ufo just landed from the looks i got and get every time i go anywhere from the sweet sound of that nasty lil 600 triple. For a 600 BABY TRIPLE it is a torque monster. Handling is a little on the heavy side but don't worry its not as heavy as a early 90's t-cat. ZRT's are best suited for long straight trails, they love the lake, and to race, they put that checkered flag on there for a reason. Overall I don't recommend this sled to you if you are a inexpierenced rider or want to ride trails all day as this is is a stupid fast machine that was made to scream but scream in a straight line. Myself ill never ride anything else if I have a choice in it, Arctic Cat ZRT 600 the most radical smallblock triple you can get. ARCTIC CAT FTW!!!!!
Damn look at you go. I agree with all of it but the studs.
doomer67 said:
Well ZRTs are pretty fast triples. my dad has a 2000 ZRT 600 triple they are fast, and the suspensions in them aren't that bad if you aren't doing really aggressive riding. They take awhile to get use to though, my dad's engages at about 4,500 Rpms and i'm use to mine engaging around 3200-3500, so when i rode his it felt weird. But Overall a ZRT is a quick sled, and the 96 has a nice body style that many people love.

P.S= they just dont like Railroads lol J/k Matt!! :) how ya feelin bud?
haha I have mine setup at 5,600 engagement. I am feeling good. Back seems to be returned to normal [thumb]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
xcrkiller said:
you did forget that ZRT's skiis do not avoid splits in railroads. hahaha sorry but i couldnt resist ACM

·
Registered
567 Posts
i just sold my 96 zrt had a 6 pack pipe system 136 2 in paddle and cutched and regeared. it had plenty of power to out run 700 and keep up with 800 but man would it use the fuel. but well worth it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That was as good a summary as you could have had. The other thing that is critical with the triples, let it warm up for 10-15 mintues. I would start mine, then put on my jacket, then my helmet, and then take it easy for the first 2-3 miles...then let 'r rip. I ran with an 03 ZR900 up to about 75 mph with my stock ZRT6...sold it and ended up getting another one!! NOTHING beats a triple in power...NOTHING!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts